Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Looking to find out why you are loosing so much oil?? Just ask Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM
jaajaa40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to find out why you are loosing so much oil?? Just ask Dodge

Here is a real interesting fact for all of you looking at finding out why your Dodge vehicle is loosing so much oil.

Dodge will tell you this... word for word...

You have asked for a letter about the oil consumption on your vehicle. Industry Standards for Normal Engine Oil Consumption:
1) Mileage below 50,000
Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 1,000 miles driven
2) Mileage above 50,000
Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 750 miles driven

I have just spent the last few weeks finding out that there is NO Industry Standards for this type of thing at all. Dodge can not even show me which organization published this so called "Industry Standards". If you ask they will show you were it is posted on the web under a "customer connect" web site that Dodge put up there to quite down some customers. But that is Dodge's own mask to cover up one lie with another.

Go head and ask them where to find the "Industry Standards"..... have fun....

Don't let them point you here to this web link.. this is their web page... interesting... they don't put their "Dodge" name anywhere to be seen so they don't have any obligations.

http://customerconnect.custhelp.com/...tion-standards

My belief is that they know the engines are messed up, and only fix the ones that are real bad, it would cost them too much to be honest.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:42 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is more of an adopted industry standard, all North American auto manufacturers use this "standard" and it is accepted industry wide. Not saying I agree with it and I am not defending/bashing it. That is just the way it is.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My neighbor was quoted the same standards when his Chevy Tahoe was eating oil. Been hearing the same for years.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 AM
2therock
Veteran

sorry to hear that.

Mine does almost 1 quart per 4000 and recently went for the worse. I looked at my last oil change receipt to check the date and happened to see the shop put 5W-20W in it! Dodge specs 10W-30W. They redid it and I'm good.

Try going up one in viscosity?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jaajaa40
Here is a real interesting fact for all of you looking at finding out why your Dodge vehicle is loosing so much oil.

Dodge will tell you this... word for word...

You have asked for a letter about the oil consumption on your vehicle. Industry Standards for Normal Engine Oil Consumption:
1) Mileage below 50,000
Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 1,000 miles driven
2) Mileage above 50,000
Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 750 miles driven

I have just spent the last few weeks finding out that there is NO Industry Standards for this type of thing at all. Dodge can not even show me which organization published this so called "Industry Standards". If you ask they will show you were it is posted on the web under a "customer connect" web site that Dodge put up there to quite down some customers. But that is Dodge's own mask to cover up one lie with another.

Go head and ask them where to find the "Industry Standards"..... have fun....

Don't let them point you here to this web link.. this is their web page... interesting... they don't put their "Dodge" name anywhere to be seen so they don't have any obligations.

http://customerconnect.custhelp.com/...tion-standards

My belief is that they know the engines are messed up, and only fix the ones that are real bad, it would cost them too much to be honest.
If you have a point to make, then make it. There are plenty of threads about this topic and there is no need that you go and post in every one of them, then start your own thread about it.

Coming on the internet and posting a bunch of hooey without a story behind it, year model, mileage, etc is a huge waste of your time and everyone reading it.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-14-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 AM
jaajaa40

Please! please, show me where can I find this industry standard from the North American auto manufacturers? I really want to calm down about this.....

I am loosing one quart for each 750 miles driven

Here is a different way to look at this... WELL over half the oil in my engine is gone between 3k mile oil changes! Is that not a little to dangerous for those who may miss checking the oil. I wonder how many victims had engine repairs done at their cost because of this, not knowing there were driving miles and miles over the years with extremely low on oil.

The "check oil" light will only come on when you are about 3.5 quarts low. THAT is my EXACTLY my experience while trying a to run an oil consumption test with Dodge... This is a folly also, I bet that Dodge adjusted the threshold not to alert drivers.

I imagine that, pulling into the dealer and being 3 quarts of oil low and it is not even time for an routine oil change, and the dealers say "Everything looks good Johnie... see you next month..." what?

The safe zone on the oil dip stick is only 1 quart wide If they do an oil change and fill up the oil to mid scale on the dip stick, you only can drive about 600 miles until you fall under the safe zone. What is the safe zone for?

This is not 1940 where they stacked oil next to the gas pumps for people to fill both when they pull into the station.

The spec on my van is "5W-20", says it right there on the oil cap.

They tried to put 10W-30 in my van, but it had the same loss over 1k miles.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM
2therock
Veteran

Heh! We hear you, and repeatedly so, and feel your pain but can do nothing much for you.
Other than the responses given so far what more do you want from us?
And still no details like year model and such? In this thread any way.

If it was myself and a new PCV, Seafoam, Engine Doctor, and/or a higher viscosity oil don't work I would trade it, pay up my insurance and park it in a bad neighborhood with a spare key in it, put a new motor in it ................. all of which will get you some sort of results.

But ranting here repeatedly is just gonna get you banned or your posts deleted.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try a new dealer, we fix oil consumption issues all the time. Not all dealers are the same. Nothing I hate more than someone having a bad experience and then lumping us all on their pile of "you guys suck".

Old 12-14-2012, 11:53 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Look, i'm not trying to be a jerk. But, if you are seeking a resolution, you need to go about it a different way.

There is a process dealers have to follow and if they don't follow it and just go and drop an engine in it because you said so, they are going to have to eat it.....THOUSANDS of dollars for nothing. Contrary to popular belief, they are not a money tree. If it's under the warranty period, they are bound by the diag and repair process Chrysler has laid out.

......and still no year model or mileage.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-14-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:00 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

well each side to the story but no car should eat any oil. not in or near out of warranty period. what happens when the care has over 100,km then what?. regards dealers, yes i agree they should have a chance to do a oil consumption for tests and not just drop in a new engine cause it eats a slight amount. "slight amout meanting whats a fair amount not the 1letre they say which is to me not right. i figuire if u eat 1/4 to max 1/2 would on a steady oil changes levels would be fine for some engines wearing in.

Quick Reply: Looking to find out why you are loosing so much oil?? Just ask Dodge