Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

steering wheel aligned

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel aligned

06 caravan

Previous owner removed steering wheel. Mine is cocked to the right. Car doesn't need alignment. it rolls true down center of road.

Once steering wheel cover is removed and the wheel is exposed: Can i then loosen the center bolt and turn the wheel to center it? Are there markings usually to center it with or a spline to determine if the previous owner had it returned to its center location?

There is no air bag in the steering wheel any longer. no danger of problem. i will also pull cable off battery prior.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The steering wheel only goes on one way. If it is off center, it will have to be adjusted by adjusting the outer tie rod ends.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:04 AM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok. thanks for the information. just puzzled van doesn't drift when running down the road with hands off the steering wheel yet steering wheel is cocked to the left.

before the van was drifting to the right while rolling down the road. the steering wheel was in straight position.

So i kept the steering wheel straight and adjusted the toes of the tires by turning the tie rods so that there was no toe in or out after making meaurements repeatedly.

The REsult: when i drove and made turns there was a LOUD popping sound in area of passenger wheel.

there was no play in the passenger wheel after jacking it up. tie rod ends look good as well as the control arm joint

so i cocked the steering wheel to the left where it is currently and re-adjusted the toes again so that there is no toe in/out. van doesn't drift at all down the road. There is NO popping when turning.

Quick Reply: steering wheel aligned