Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan cluster and computer question

Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 AM
angelatrice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan cluster and computer question

Can I still pull the codes in a 1996 dodge caravan 3.0 even though the instrument cluster isn't working?? If I get both computers BCM and PCM out of the same van from the junk yard will they work on my van or will I need to have them programmed by the Dodge dealer for my van?? Is there any way to test the computers in my van??
Thank you in advance,
Angela

Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1996 MY was the first that required OBD-II (assuming the car was manufactured for sale in the U.S.) so it should have a port for a scan tool somewhere below the knee bolster. If the van is driveable you can take it in to a local major chain auto parts store and they'll read the code for free. If it's not driveable you can probably rent a scan tool or borrow one from somewhere, or you can buy a cheapo one for like $50. I don't think you need to have a working cluster to read the codes out of the OBDII port, just a working battery.

Good luck.

Last edited by kuyabribri; 05-28-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clarified
Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Mikeb-rick
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can pull codes without it working.

If your instrument cluster doesn't work, inspect the circuit board behind the gauges. Its a cheap fix if you solder the rear connector. It's a common problem for these vans. $30 board replaced mine, as it had black soot around a chip.

The BCM has to have the same model and specs as the one you are replacing, as far as I know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caravan cluster and computer question