Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

New, don't want to be repetitious.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:59 AM
rfbarnett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New, don't want to be repetitious.

I've searched here before on other issues to my benefit and appreciate the service. Haven't felt the need to post until now, can't find a match to my problem. I've got an '01 T & C, 3.3L, 190k, with a power steering pump whine. My local (sometimes unreliable) shop tells me the wire mesh screen filtering the fluid inside the pump is too fine, and easily clogs. Is this accurate? Any fix short of replacement? Thanks.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

I will move your post to the minivan section. The screen has far as I know is in the power steering reservoir. I would recommend to replace both the pump and reservoir.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:53 PM
cappo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[My local (sometimes unreliable) shop tells me the wire mesh screen filtering the fluid inside the pump is too fine, and easily clogs]

Your shop is correct. my '03 Caravan has had this issue occasionally. I fix the problem by removing the reservoir and cleaning the screen. I still have the original pump. If you're handy there are some videos on youtube with the full procedure

Old 04-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, I've read about it numerous times over the years. That screen has caused many a headache. Many just replace the reservoir. They are relatively cheap at dealerships. Machts nichts but 3rd generation vans have no screen. My 96 has had ZERO power steering problems in 18 years and 211K miles.

Search this Thread