Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Just purchased a 2006 Dodge Caravan

Old 05-14-2013, 02:41 AM
TechBill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a 2006 Dodge Caravan

We just purchased our first mini van a 2006 Dodge Caravan.

But we got a couple of question if any of you can help us out here that will be awesome.

Our passenger side dome light is out, how do you replace bulb in it? Does clear cover snap off or you need to unscrew the console itself? I wasn't sure since the clear cover is also an off/on switch itself.

Interior of our rear hatch door, there a light dome on the left (passenger side) that lights up when you open the hatch door but on the right (driver side) is a hole that either missing a cover or light dome housing. I put my hand inside the hole and did not find any lamp socket or or wiring or a plug for a lamp housing so I am guessing that there are only one light dome on hatch door and the right side should just have a plastic piece or housing which snaps into the hole that is missing? Any idea where I can purchase this piece?

We have power seat on the driver side which is working unless you try to use elevation (up or down), the motor turn but sound like gear is grinding or skipping. We are guessing that the gears may be stripped and when I research tonight look like Dodge only sell the whole assembly not just the gears itself. Is there a third party manufacture or dealer that sell only just the replacement gears or it it something I will have to start hunting junkyard for?

Thank you
Bill

Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the overhead console reading lights up front? If so, the procedure says "Using a flat bladed tool, pry off the lamp lens". Sylvania lists it as a map light part # PC579.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-14-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:20 PM
TechBill

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Are you talking about the overhead console reading lights up front? If so, the procedure says "Using a flat bladed tool, pry off the lamp lens". Sylvania lists it as a map light part # PC579.

Yeah after doing some research on internet I think they are called Map Lamp on console. There seem to be two ways to do this .. One is to remove the whole console and replace bulb or other is to do what you just posted.

Bill

Old 05-14-2013, 02:34 PM
TechBill

I managed to get the map lamp out of the console and it look like there a bad burnt on one of the bulb contact point.

Going have to see if that is fixable or find a replacement contacts.

Bill

Old 05-14-2013, 05:13 PM
TechBill

Originally Posted by TechBill
I managed to get the map lamp out of the console and it look like there a bad burnt on one of the bulb contact point.

Going have to see if that is fixable or find a replacement contacts.

Bill
The lamp socket is quite badly burnt and melted so I ordered a used overhead console from ebay today to replace it.

I and my wife are Deaf and uses sign languages so we need light to communicate when needed during night time.

Bill

Old 05-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sheesh. From bad to worse. Sounds like you've got it handled though. A quick look around the net shows this is more common than you might think. Unfortunately, I saw no fix for the overheating. Got a hunch it's just a poorly designed socket. No idea of how it's configured but you might consider soldering the wires to the socket contacts if they are only crimped on on your new console.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-14-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just purchased a 2006 Dodge Caravan