Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'97 Gr Caravan Intermittent Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 PM
silvrbullet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Gr Caravan Intermittent Ignition

My '97 Grand Caravan 3.3L 6-cyl typically starts and runs fine, but on most runs at some point it just shuts down with no warning. Sometimes it is while waiting at a light or stop sign, sometimes I get a hiccup or buck while driving. When it shuts down, it starts right back up, no problem.

The Check Engine light sometimes comes on but resets after some time. I've had several different diagnostic codes over the months. First was a CPS circuit malfunction (P0340) - I replaced the CPS. Another says the battery has been disconnected (MIL code 12), but I have not disconnected the battery. Also several MIL code 21's.

In addition, my instrument cluster randomly stops working - when this happens it's dead at start-up, and will magically come back up sometime during the ride or in a subsequent ride.

Any advice out there?

Thanks,
Dave.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look hard at the CKP sensor circuit. It's infamous for causing out of the blue stalling. Add to that, a P0340 code can also mean the CKP sensor circuit has failed. A little nugget from Chrysler to make life interesting. Many shops will change both sensors regardless of which code pops up on 3rd generation vans.

Your cluster problem may be the well documented cluster solder joint issue. The solder securing the connector to the circuit board cracks opening various circuits. A long shot but I have read of this same problem causing stalling. It all has to do with the CCD multiplex data bus.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:04 AM
silvrbullet

Thanks for the reply Cougar. By CKP sensor you mean crankshaft position sensor? Yes, I only replaced the camshaft pos. sensor, and as far as I know I have not had recurrence of the P0340 code - but you recommend replacing it anyway?

I've seen some posts about the instrument cluster solder joint. I'll attack that next chance I get, and will report back how things go.

Thanks again for the advice.
Dave

Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM
silvrbullet

I pulled the instrument cluster about 3 weeks ago - though all the solder joints looked OK to my untrained eye, I hit them all with heat and a little fresh solder. To date the panel has not blacked out again, so hopefully that addressed the issue.

However, the stalling/bucking issue continues, intermittently. I have not yet replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor for the simple reason I don't know where it is located. Can you provide some guidance on that?

Thanks,
Dave.

Quick Reply: '97 Gr Caravan Intermittent Ignition