Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2006 Grand Caravan AC help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Tinman223
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Grand Caravan AC help needed

Ok, I've had great success seeking help here before so I thought I'd try again. There's an old adage that says "happy wife, happy life"...and right now both are miserable! I've checked the charge on her AC system and its actually perfect. However, when she turns the air on, nothing but hot air comes out, and I don't mean outdoor air temperature, I mean heated air! It's almost as if the evap coil is being bypassed and instead the air is going across the heater core. Is there something in the vehicles ductwork, like a damper system, that could cause this? Please help, I can't take the bitching and complaining any longer! Lol

Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First run the hvac system calibration which will test the actuators to make sure they are working. Here is the proceedure.

A/C-HEATER CONTROL CALIBRATION

The A/C-heater control module must be recalibrated each time an actuator motor or the A/C-heater control is replaced. If the vehicle is so equipped, the calibration procedure also includes rear HVAC positions for each actuator motor.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. 2. If equipped with the manual temperature control (MTC) system, press and hold the Rear Wipe/Wash and Recirculation buttons for at least five seconds. If equipped with the automatic temperature control (ATC) systen, simultaneously press and hold the Power and Recirculation buttons on the A/C-heater control for at least five seconds. The MTC A/C-heater control Rear Wipe/Wash button light emitting diode (LED) and Recirculation button LED, or the ATC A/C-heater control Delay and Recirculation graphics will begin to flash when the calibration procedure has begun. 3. The calibration procedure should take less than two minutes to complete for the manual A/C-heater control, and less than twenty seconds for the ATC A/C-heater control. When the LEDs or graphics stop flashing, the calibration procedure is complete. 4. If the LEDs or graphics continue to flash beyond the two minute (manual) or twenty second (ATC) calibration time, it indicates that the A/C-heater control has detected a failure and a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set. Refer to Body Diagnostic Procedures to perform further diagnosis. The LEDs or graphics will continue to flash even after the ignition switch is cycled Off and On, until a successful calibration is completed or until the vehicle has been driven about 13 kilometers (8 miles).

Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 AM
smokin' dodge

WOW! why didn't my Dealer try this??? I hope it's true for the newer body style 2009? Mine gets cold at first then like someone turned on the heat!! Dealer did pressure test on freon and I looked everywhere for ice/ frost issues under hood to no avail....
Cannot wait to try!

THX!
SD

Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Tinman223

Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and try this, however theres been no actuator motor or AC heater control replaced. What kind of actuator motor are we talking about and where is it located? How do I get to it?

Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

All of the doors in the hvac housing are controlled by actuator motors. There is one for the mode, one for drivers side blend, one for passenger side blend and one for the fresh air door. If you don't have dual zone temperature control you would only have one blend actuator. It's possible the motor isn't moving, the calibration test would find that and let you know. The actuators are on the side of the hvac housing right above the gas pedal

Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

smokin dodge, the actuator calibration for the '09 van is done with a scan tool, you cannot proform it manually like the older vans.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Tinman223

Ok Tizzy, I did the calibration test, that worked out fine. My wife said no change in the lack of cooling. I do recall at the end of last summer when it started acting up, we could run the air with the recirculation and that actually cooled, but after a while that stopped working as well. Any other thoughts?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 AM
smokin' dodge

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
smokin dodge, the actuator calibration for the '09 van is done with a scan tool, you cannot proform it manually like the older vans.

Yup! It did not work on my later model, 2009, manual A/C unit. Thx for heads up and Im sure it will blow HOT again, as soon as temps hit 90F again......... last time Dealer said he checked all "vents". I know he was speaking of the "actuators". Next time I'm pulling over into a parking lot and going under the dash myself! Do ya know if the "actuators" are vaccum controlled like other rides I've worked on over the years?? THX!! (stay cool my friend :-} )

Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

Tinman, any way of checking the a/c pressures? Single of dual zone?

Smokin Dodge, the actuators are electrical. If you have single zone, the blend door actuator is on the drivers side of the hvac housing above the gas pedal area. If you have dual zone, the passenger side blend door actuator is on the right side of the air distribution housing.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 AM
smokin' dodge

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
Tinman, any way of checking the a/c pressures? Single of dual zone?

Smokin Dodge, the actuators are electrical. If you have single zone, the blend door actuator is on the drivers side of the hvac housing above the gas pedal area. If you have dual zone, the passenger side blend door actuator is on the right side of the air distribution housing.

Ok Thx! next time it blows warm, I have the bright flashlite ready.......... I'll let yas know what happens.

SD

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2006 Grand Caravan AC help needed