Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2014 Tire Inflator

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
jferello
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Tire Inflator

Hey all, bad news today My 2014 got a puncture on the way to work today, I couldn't believe it. I have been driving for 16 years and never had a flat, but I buy a new van 3 weeks ago and bam!

Anyway I got the silly inflator kit instead of the spare tire. I tried the kit and it did nothing, even thogh it was a small puncture right in the middle of the tread.

I ended up getting it towed to PepBoys, they cleaned the inside of the tire out of the useless sealant and put a plug with cement in.

So here are my questions:

1) The TPMS system will not go off. The technician said he filled the tire to 35psi and I drove about 6 miles after the work and it has not turned off. Is the sensor destroyed?

2) If the sensor needs to be replaced, would that be covered under the warranty, since I used their stupid inflator kit? It doesn't say anywhere in their documentation that it would wreck the sensor.

3) After this, I want to get a real tire. Do I need to get the full Mopar tire kit, or just find the right tire/wheel and hang it under the van?

Thanks,
Justin

Old 01-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

should be covered under warranty unless the "Pep Boys" broke it removing and installing your tire, the most likely culprit.

I would think there is quite a bit that goes into adding the spare tire. It stows between the front seats. Need to see it the winch is there. Then there is an upper shield. The carrier for the tire and the tire and rim itself. It is a mini spare, that is all that will fit there.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:43 PM
jferello
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well some good news, I checked the pressure in all the tires and found that the other 3 tires were at 40psi and the fixed one was only at 35psi. I lowered the other 3 to 35psi and after about 10 miles or so the light went out and has not come back on, yay!

So new question, should I run the tires at 40psi or 35psi? The door sticker says 35psi, but from the dealer they were at 40psi.

Also, Tizzy, looks like they do have a whole kit, guess I will buy it:
http://www.mopar.com/part/82214036?s...363084&b=dodge

Thanks,
Justin

Old 01-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the cold I run a little higher but summer I stay at 35.

Kit looks like a good deal, I would definitely go that route

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2014 Tire Inflator