Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: gas cap error code?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas cap error code?

after a trip down to Myrtle Beach (with no issues), i went to drive the van (2008 DGCV) yesterday and noticed the words "gas cap" where the mileage is. i assumed it is a type of self test resulting in a fault, tripping the code? i purchased a new aftermarket gas cap from NAPA, & put it in, but the light stayed on.

i tried searching gas cap here, but no results were found. does anyone have any input on what it could be? or is there a reset procedure to stop that from coming on?

Old 01-23-2014, 06:13 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

no one has any input? i'm going to pick up an OEM gas cap from the dealer & try that one, so i hope that's it. if anyone has any input, it would be appreciated.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Gas cap" is telling you the first thing to check in trying to nail down a small EVAP system leak. If it's not the gas cap the leak could be anywhere in the system. A shop will inject smoke in the system and look the system over for any visible smoke to pinpoint the leak.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

ahh, ok. i thought that it would set a check engine light if it were something different. guess i'll try the dealer cap, but if it doesn't work, i'll have to get that done.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: gas cap error code?