Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Alternator Pulley Replacement - Instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:34 AM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Alternator Pulley Replacement - Instructions?

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Caravan SE (3.3L V6)

I've been hearing some strange noise coming from the engine for several months now. I tried to pay close attention and it seems to be coming from the alternator pulley. I ordered a replacement pulley with the intent on replacing the item myself.

I do have the service manual but cant quite find the instructions on how to replace this part. Any help you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Melhuishpa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pully? Usually, its the alternator bearings that go. You'll probably need to replace the alternator, not just the pully. Since I don't know exactly what part you have in your hand, I can't offer much of an opinion. Except, if all you have it the wheel that the belt goes on, I doubt that is or will solve your issue.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 AM
cv2003
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You would either need to buy or build the special tool needed to do this job (I don't know of anyone who loans or rents them). Not too difficult to build one, either by welding or by drilling out a coupling nut (the method I used). Once you have the tool, the pulley is removed by torquing clockwise on the inner, and counter-clockwise on the outer. Installation is the reverse, torqued to 65 ft lbs.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:30 PM
quantass
Professional
Question

Originally Posted by Melhuishpa
Pully? Usually, its the alternator bearings that go. You'll probably need to replace the alternator, not just the pully. Since I don't know exactly what part you have in your hand, I can't offer much of an opinion. Except, if all you have it the wheel that the belt goes on, I doubt that is or will solve your issue.
For the record, this is the Alternator Pulley i ordered from RockAuto:

Amazon.com: Gates 37015P Alternator Pulley: Automotive Amazon.com: Gates 37015P Alternator Pulley: Automotive

Because of the noise I am only concerned about the car breaking down in the middle of the road. The noise itself does not bother me. If the noise is only a nuisance and i should not worry about it then i am content; i couldnt care less of replacing things.

So you're saying the pulley will not be the issue eh. Darn. You can hear the noise in this video clip. Ignore the exhaust smoke.

Last edited by quantass; 04-06-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:38 PM
xr500

Gates has a good video on youtube on how to replace. They have short and long version. Here is long version.

I wonder if Autozone would have loaner tools for this?

Old 04-06-2014, 05:06 PM
quantass
Professional

Originally Posted by xr500
Gates has a good video on youtube on how to replace. They have short and long version. Here is long version.

GATES: Alternator Decoupler Pulley - How to Inspect and Replace (full version) - YouTube

I wonder if Autozone would have loaner tools for this?
Much appreciated. Very helpful

Old 04-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Melhuishpa
Amateur

Dude, I have no opinion on what that could be. Sometimes you can isolate the noice using a long screwdriver or extention. Carefully place the tool against various items and place your ear against the end of the tool. You should be able to hear the sound.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 PM
quantass
Professional

I went ahead and ONLY replaced the alternator pulley....

SUCCESS

The noise is completely gone. It turns out the problem was just the alternator pulley.

I do appreciate all the assistance!

Thank you.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 AM
xr500

What did you do for removal tool?? I have got to do mine also, it sounds terrible

Old 04-13-2014, 09:26 PM
xr500

Does anyone know how to make or where to rent tools to remove decoupler pulley??

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Alternator Pulley Replacement - Instructions?