Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: How to paint OEM running boards DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:19 PM
dushash
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to paint OEM running boards DIY?

I bought some slightly used running boards off a DGC 2010 but they are blue color. So what's the easiest way to do a DIY paint over job? My color is sandstone 2008. I'm not looking for perfection at all. I'm not looking to match paint exactly. All I need is a durable paint job that will last me 3-5 years of winter. So it's a factory blue paint right now - meaning that it's very solid and smooth. Would be great to get some sandstone color spray and just paint it over, while cover the footstep central area, that is black anti-slippery plastick-rubber anyway.
Where can I order a half-gallon paint of similar color?

Old 07-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Montreal300
Professional

Just pick up some Duplicolor spray cans of the right color or go to a paint distributor and have them mix the color into large spray cans. I prefer the second option because they can us a spectrometer on the car to get the shade to match six year old paint.
The rest is sanding, priming, sanding, priming, finish coat (3 times or more) and then two coats of clear and sanding in between clear coats. This is if you don't mess up and then have to sand down a complete coat.
Check with a local body shop and ask them for a price.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:27 AM
dushash
Amateur

Originally Posted by Montreal300
Just pick up some Duplicolor spray cans of the right color or go to a paint distributor and have them mix the color into large spray cans. I prefer the second option because they can us a spectrometer on the car to get the shade to match six year old paint.
The rest is sanding, priming, sanding, priming, finish coat (3 times or more) and then two coats of clear and sanding in between clear coats. This is if you don't mess up and then have to sand down a complete coat.
Check with a local body shop and ask them for a price.
Thank you Montreal300. It looks like too much for me to do DIY job properly. I will follow your advise and ask for a free quote in local body shops.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: How to paint OEM running boards DIY?