Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Looking to upgrade rims and tires instead of stock 16'' on 2008 GC 3.3 SE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 AM
dushash
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to upgrade rims and tires instead of stock 16'' on 2008 GC 3.3 SE?

So I have stock 16 steel rims (5x127) and 225/65/16 tires all-season. I want to get as big rims and winter tires (for upcoming winter season - in Canada where I live it's almost 6 months of snow) as reasonably possible without sacrificing ride comfort - I definitely don't like rough sport ride. I've seen some 20'' rims, but am not sure what tires you can squeeze in to keep soft ride as much as possible.
I've seen some nice 18 inch rims from Jeep Wrangler (2007 and up) 5x127, but I was wondering if I can still put 225/65/18 on them so that tire sidewall height will be same and hence same ride comfort - will this combo fit to my 2008 3.3 SE?
As a side question, will my 3.3l engine have no problem with 18''-20'' rims - I mean will torque be enough to have almost same adequate acceleration, shifting etc. as on my stock 16'' wheels?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:09 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good rule of thumb.....
Rim size up= Less sidewall= Worse ride.

On an 18 you'll probably be looking at a 225/45-18 to keep your speedo and shifting proper. Which will equal no sidewall and crappy ride.

Good question....
Why are you trying to put large wheels on your van? Looks?

Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 AM
dushash
Amateur

Originally Posted by smokesxt
Good rule of thumb.....
Rim size up= Less sidewall= Worse ride.

On an 18 you'll probably be looking at a 225/45-18 to keep your speedo and shifting proper. Which will equal no sidewall and crappy ride.

Good question....
Why are you trying to put large wheels on your van? Looks?
Thanks. Yes, looks mainly and a little bit to get more clearance from the ground too, since I installed running boards and I don't want to hit curbs with them - but that's just minor consideration, looks is main thing.

I searched the forum and found that 225/60/18 will fit without any issues, like rubbing or anything. And it has sidewall just a tiny bit smaller than stock sidewall (65 vs 60). Yes, overall diameter of the wheel will be somewhat larger (around 4%) which is just 1% more than recommended 3% limit to stay within. So it shouldn't be a problem I guess.
Speedo 4% difference will be marginal in city driving which I do most at 35miles/h (or around 55km/h) it will be around 1.4miles or 2km/h difference - hardly noticeable.
So I am more and more leaning toward it, but the only thing stopping me right now is lack of 18'' rims for 5x5 ET40 71.6 for reasonable price.
You guys still think it's not a good idea? I mean I've seen Dodge Grand Caravans on 20'' rims - now that is a little on the big side, maybe unreasonable, but 18'' - not so much I would guess.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:16 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

My $.02......
I don't think it would look any better to run 18s if your going to keep with a large sidewall. Defeats the purpose of running bigger wheel

Old 07-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Montreal300
Professional

You WILL reduce ride comfort, believe me I know from experience. I went to 20 from 18 on my 300 and could really feel it. Going from 16 to 20 will be night and day.
Second, a 4% change in tire height is going to gain you MAYBE 12mm in ground clearance.
IMHO not worth it on a GC but to each his own, it's your car.
If I were you I'd be thinking of winter tires on the stock rims then once the pot holes are filled in, throw on your expensive custom rims.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 AM
dushash
Amateur

Thanks everyone. Good points to consider for me. Probably as you suggested I will abandon this idea, and will save money. I will just buy good winter tires (Michelin, Blizzak or Continental) and tire rack to keep tires in garage on the wall and call it a day.

BTW, I've heard that Canadian Tire balancing is not good, is it so? Is Costco or Walmart better or I'm better off with local tire shop?

Old 07-14-2014, 12:51 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

If it's the steels your not liking why not get the factory alloys? Use the steels and snow tires for winter and the alloys for summer.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Looking to upgrade rims and tires instead of stock 16'' on 2008 GC 3.3 SE?