Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: replacing/repairing power tailgate 2005 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Lin171
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing/repairing power tailgate 2005 Grand Caravan

Hi, I'm hoping someone here could help me. I recently purchased a 2005 Grand Caravan SXT. It has the power sliding doors, and I believe the tailgate WAS power but is broken. It had one previous owner but the dealer didn't know details about the tailgate. There is some minor dents in the back, so I'm assuming it was rear ended and that broke the power. On the keyfob it has the buttons for the power sliding doors with a x2 on each indicating to hit the button twice to active the power door. Then the top button is the photo of the tailgate open (or was, its mostly worn off) and also has that x2. Currently all the button does is unlock the tailgate. I guess its possible only the doors are power, but I'm really thinking it was originally too.

Does anyone have any idea on a price range to repair/replace whatever and get the tailgate working as power again? I'm a wheelchair user and going to be putting a wheelchair lift inside the drivers side power side door, and getting the tailgate power would really be helpful with using it. For now I have a nylon handle attached to it to help pull it down but its a huge pain in the ***. I have joint issues so its difficult to reach way up to grab the handle still, and hurts my shoulder to pull down the hatch. Then I have to try to sorta swing the handle inside as I'm slamming it all the way closed real fast. Sometimes the handle lands inside, some times it swings back completely outside, sometimes its inbetween preventing complete closure and I have to reopen to try again. Its nylon webbing with a rubbery grip so I don't think weather will ruin it, but I don't like it sticking outside of the closed hatch.

Last edited by Lin171; 07-10-2014 at 04:23 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-10-2014, 04:14 AM
Lin171

Bueller? Bueller?

Ok maybe it will help if I break this down into some specific questions I'm wanting answered....

Can anyone tell me how to determine if the tailgate WAS originally power? Like I said I believe one of the buttons on the key fob is for opening a power tailgate. Its the most worn button, so you can only see the bottom half of the photo. There is a x2 on it like the buttons for the power sliding doors, but the only thing it seems to do is unlock the tailgate, which the unlock button does as well so it doesn't make sense to have a button on the keyfob just to unlock the tailgate? However, on the inside roof buttons that open the power sliding doors, there is not one for the hatch. So, was it originally power or no? How do I find out?

If it was not originally powered, is it possible to add-on somehow to make it powered? If so, any ideas on pricing or where is best to go for that sort of thing?

If it was originally powered and is now broken, any ideas on if thats possible to repair or replace the broken parts/unit/whatever? Price range? Where is the best place to go?

I'll try to remember to take photos of the key fob and the buttons inside that do the power sliding doors in case thats helpful. If you need any more info to answer feel free to ask.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 AM
brunski

lin171,

I have the exact model (2005 grand caravan sxt). Mine does have the power tailgate. As you mentioned, the keyfob opens the tailgate if you click it twice on that button, also the inside buttons do open it. I'm not sure if all the sxt have the power sliding doors and power lift gate, but quickly researching shows me probably all do. I found this link as well: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl073f.htm - you may be able to verify if yours has that feature by opening the panel.
Also: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...king-open.html
and
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...te-issues.html

Old 07-15-2014, 12:17 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If you open the Liftgate, Does it have two regular shocks or does it have one shock and power Liftgate shock? Or you can send me a pm with the last 9 of the vin.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Lin171

brunski, could you take a picture for me of the button inside that opens the liftgate? So I can compare to mine.

I'll post a picture of the keyfob, the buttons inside, and the shocks. Since I'm not sure how to tell the difference between a power liftgate shock and regular one.

Thanks guys. One reason why I'm trying to figure out all this is because I'm using vocational rehabilitation to get the wheelchair lift put in so I can return to work. I'm wondering if they could make the tailgate power for me. But I believe with technicalities if it WAS already power and is now broken, anything broken on the vehicle is my responsibility. But if it was not originally power, they could make it power for me as an adaptation for my disability. So I want to figure out what its going to cost to fix it/make it power and see if I can afford to get it done myself first.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:07 AM
brunski

and

Attached Thumbnails replacing/repairing power tailgate 2005 Grand Caravan-photo-1-e1405512088635.jpg   replacing/repairing power tailgate 2005 Grand Caravan-photo-2-e1405512124311.jpg  

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: replacing/repairing power tailgate 2005 Grand Caravan