Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: Power Liftgate Won't Stay Open

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Ryan K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Liftgate Won't Stay Open

I have a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. If you push the button to make the lift gate open, it will go up. But once it gets all the way open it slams closed. Here's the interesting part. If I hold the door open then push the button to make it close, it engages and closes slow. It will not stay open unless I am holding it open though. Anyone heard of this?

Old 08-29-2014, 01:45 PM
J Wikoff
Rookie

When I had issues with our 07 lift gate, it would get stuck open. It was proposed that maybe the module was getting confused and forgetting where it was, and that I should unhook the battery for several minutes. It should relearn itself when power is back and you push the button to make it cycle. That seemed to help, but I also put in new lift struts and it's been fine since. The lift struts should hold it open whether you use the power or not.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:26 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, I have replace the Liftgate shocks. Are you still covered under the basic warranty?

Old 08-30-2014, 08:53 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

sounds like shocks to me too, get new shocks

Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan K
I have a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. If you push the button to make the lift gate open, it will go up. But once it gets all the way open it slams closed. Here's the interesting part. If I hold the door open then push the button to make it close, it engages and closes slow. It will not stay open unless I am holding it open though. Anyone heard of this?

It could be the liftgate strut-supports (prop rods). You vehicle appears to be still under warranty. Please have your servicing dealer inspect for condition and repair.

Quick Reply: [General]: Power Liftgate Won't Stay Open