Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: How do I identify a Caravan tow group package

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:56 AM
scoff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I identify a Caravan tow group package

I'm shopping for a 2012-2015 used caravan and have a couple questions about the factory tow package.
A few times a year I rent an open utility trailer from uhaul (5x9 with ramp which is 1,080lb empty) to pick up a machine or two I might win from an auction. Usually it's a 400lb table saw or similar weight machines. I basically load 500lb in a trailer that's 1,100lb when empty.
I've read that you shouldn't tow anything with a van but if you do you should make sure the transmission is cooled, load leveling suspension is added and possibly oil cooling.
I'm told from 2013 on transmission cooling is standard. Do they route that through the radiator or push it through the air conditioning cooling? Is this enough of should you do special external dedicated cooling for the transmission?
The packages don't mention oil cooling so it's not too crucial?
My main question is this, how do I know load leveling suspension was added as a package and some guy didn't just add a hitch with nothing else?
I don't know what to look for, if I look under thee car does it look different? How does it activate, any sort of wiring or button that might give a hint?

The saleman probably got it back from a lease or rental so he'll probably just say "oh yeah, it's the tow package" but just regular shocks.

Quick Reply: [General]: How do I identify a Caravan tow group package