Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: "Step" button on steering wheel repair/replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 04:26 PM
BF204
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Step" button on steering wheel repair/replace?

Greetings all!

First post here... I have a 2012 Grand Caravan that has the audio, cruise and trip computer controls on the steering wheel... It's at about 68000 km now (so bumper to bumper warranty just over), and the "step" button for cycling through the different display options for the odometer has stopped working.... I'm stuck on the external temp now. It got a bit finicky for a while (took a few presses to change, then firmer presses, and now won't work at all)

I'm guessing that the whole left side cluster of buttons that includes the "step" button would be replaced all at once (?).. That would be the voice command button, the uconnect phone button and the reset button (in addition to the "step" button). The cruise buttons (right side, front) and the audio buttons (both on the left and right back side of the wheel) all work fine..... Just the step button is not functional...

Or, can each individual button be removed/replaced?

Can that group of buttons be replaced without removing the whole steering wheel? I've seen vid's for other years showing the airbag module can be removed, but I've never seen anything for exactly my type of steering wheel, or even this exact year... or that shows how those switches are actually mounted...

You think there's any chance that resetting the whole van's computer might fix it?? I might try via battery disconnect & capacitance discharge just to see...

Annoying that this has happened just off warranty... it looks like the button configuration might change often, so the odds of finding parts other than ordering from the dealer might be slim (?)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 08-11-2015, 07:27 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like there are four separate switches, see link below:

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...category=20307

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: "Step" button on steering wheel repair/replace?