Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 2000 3.0L runs REALLY rough, but only when warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 05:02 PM
beauzeau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 3.0L runs REALLY rough, but only when warm

It drives GREAT. I crank it up in the morning, and it starts right up. I can drive it 50 miles to a friend's place and it's just fine. But if I shut it off after it gets good and warm and let it sit for 10 minutes or more, it runs REALLY rough when I start it back up. It's like it's missing on every cylinder. If I put my foot on the gas it will either want to backfire (in which case, I shut it back off) or it will slooooooooowly rev up. Verrrry sloooowly it will rev and rev until it gets up to around 3k or so then you can tell something's happening, something's TRYING to work. Then, all of a sudden, once it gets up to a certain RPM, the motor seems to snap out of it, right itself and starts running well again. I'll have to put it in drive and step on the gas a bit before it seems to be totally itself again. Then, from that moment on, it won't give me another lick of trouble until the next time I turn it off again. It does not stall at idle or anything like that ONCE it decides to start running.

Now I don't know if it's worth noting or not, but if I shut it down while it's warm, and then crank it right back up again, it's fine. If it's not been turned off for more than a few minutes, it seems fine.

Also, I NEVER have a problem when it's cold it's ALWAYS when it's hot. It's gotten worse over time too. At first, I would only notice it when it was hot, recranked, and in reverse. Then I started noticing it in park, but it would go away rather quickly once I gave it some gas and revved it a little. Now it's progressed to where it might not happen the 1st time I shut it down and get back in it, but it might happen the 2nd or 3rd time.

I've got one of those cheapy little bluetooth odbII readers and torque pro for android. It's throwing no codes at all.

I tried changing the EGR valve on someone's recommendation. It seemed to make the problem go away, but I think that might have simply been wishful thinking!

I filtered for gen 3s to see if there were any known issues but nothing popped out at me.

Any ideas?

Old 03-02-2017, 07:22 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your wiring and connection at your MAP sensor and wiring and connections at the throttle body.
I've had the MAP sensor plug wiggle loose on 3.0s, it will cause a slew of issues and not throw a code. Same goes for the connections at the throttle body.