Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Wont shift out of park + traction control and airbag lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:59 AM
masterbeavis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont shift out of park + traction control and airbag lights

We have a '12 Grand Caravan with approx 125K on it that is developing a few problems.

The first one that is really making the missus angry is the fact that sometimes the van will not shift out of park after being started. The work around has been turn the key off, restart, problem goes away till the next restart, where they may or may not be an issue again.

The airbag light will intermittently come on. Dealer states they cannot diagnose the problem if the light is not on.

The traction control light has started coming on more frequently, either as soon as the van is started, or after slowing down from highway speeds having the cruise control on to 45MPH or under. When the light comes on, it often times will go away if the van is shut off and re-started. I cannot recreate the exact condition that causes the light to activate.

The van "bangs" into forward or reverse upon initial startup, surges when backing up hills. (Ive read that the surging is normal?)

The van was bought used with 65K miles on it, and now has 125K. It has been taken to the dealer for all recommended maintenance while she has owned it. I suspect it was a former fleet, or rental car in its former life(not sure if that really matters?) All factory recalls have been performed (according to the dealer) She did take it to a transmission shop for a fluid flush after getting sticker shock from the dealer for the same procedure. Shop said the fluid looked normal for having unknown (presumably 60K or more of mileage on it)

Will a typical handheld code scanner give any insight to any of the above mentioned concerns, or is there reasonably priced aftermarket software available that can be used in conjunction with a laptop to get a better idea of what the issues are? I do not like the idea of paying a shop a grip of cash to get alot of shoulder shrugs and failed repair attempts.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not up to speed on 5th generation vans but can say it sounds like the shift interlock system, the system that keeps you from shifting with your foot off the brake, is ruining your day. Probably related to either the shifter, brake switch or transmission range sensor. Course there's all the wiring between them too.

I'll lean towards saying a standard powertrain code scanner won't help and you'll need a scanner capable of reading chassis codes. Laptop software? Somebody else can answer that. The software is out there but specifically for your problem I can't say.

Are you seeing a check engine light? Have any brake light or shift indication problems? You say all recalls are done. There were several TSBs for reprogramming the transmission for hard shifting some years ago. Did they do those too?

Old 03-04-2017, 06:11 PM
masterbeavis

No check engine light, no other apparent problems (until today when the TPMS system says a tire is low, yer the tires are properly inflated)

Old 03-29-2017, 10:22 AM
andy_springfield

Do you have trailer wiring or any electrical item you may have spliced into your van's electrical system?

Old 04-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Teddy Allman, Jr

Brake light switch... Dual function, unrelated to airbag though

Old 04-07-2017, 04:42 PM
masterbeavis

Originally Posted by andy_springfield
Do you have trailer wiring or any electrical item you may have spliced into your van's electrical system?
Have not touched the electrical system. We recently bolted on a hitch, but yet to install the plug in wiring harness for lights

Originally Posted by Teddy Allman, Jr
Brake light switch... Dual function, unrelated to airbag though
Is there a test procedure for this part?

Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 AM
andy_springfield

I had issues after I spliced my trailer wiring into the van. Turned out that a bad ground for the trailer wiring(didn't grind off enough paint/dirt/grime) caused this to come on. Battery was not doin to good either. Regardless, the solution was to put in a proper ground for trailer wiring and a battery disconnect/reconnect.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:41 AM
Eric Bernatchez

I know it is 2 years later! But it could help someone like me who had the same issue and found this forum on google!

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2012.

I had the same issue with the traction control indicator and the shifter. The indicator would illuminates while driving and if I was putting the car in park position I could not move the shifter again; I had to restart the car. I also once saw the red indicator for the airbag turning ON.

I went to dealership, they ran a dignostic and it ended up that the ABS system reported faults with the brake pedal switch.

ABS C0040-29 Brake Pedal Switch-Signal Invalid
ABS C212A-16 System Voltage-Circuit Voltage Below Threshold
PCM P0571 Brake Switch Performance

They replaced the Brake Pedal Switch (4671336-AD). They quoted 33.80$CAD + 70$CAD for the time. In my case I did not have to pay because I just purchased the car used and had a deal with them!.

I saw video on youtube of a guy replacing it on a 2008 it seems pretty straight forward. and you can buy the part for less than 7$USD.

Good luck to anyone else with this issue.