DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Caravan (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan-23/)
-   -   [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2007 grand caravan won't start brand new battery, clicking sound (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan/405221-2007-grand-caravan-wont-start-brand-new-battery-clicking-sound.html)

Rickkins 07-10-2017 04:13 PM

2007 grand caravan won't start brand new battery, clicking sound

Hi guys.

So, like the title says, I go to start the van this morning, and all I get is a clicking(single click) sound. Everything comes on, radio lights etc,

Battery was replaced a couple months ago with a brand new "Kirkland" battery. All connections were cleaned at that time.

Failed to start even with my battery charger, which has a boost function, hooked up to it.

I tried the starter re;ay jump trick, connecting pins 30 and 87, same loud click, which on the surface seems to be coming from the starter.

Thanks.

jkeaton 07-10-2017 06:40 PM

Starter could have bit the bullet.

Rickkins 07-10-2017 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by jkeaton (Post 3349519)
Starter could have bit the bullet.

That's actually what I'm thinking, but wanna try to make sure I eliminate everything else before I plonk down a couple hundred bucks on a new one, not to mention the effort of installing a new one.(money being what it is, gotta do it myself...)

Is there any other kinda test I should otta run first..??

Thanks.

Cougar41 07-11-2017 03:59 PM

Make sure the starter connections are clean and tight but yes, if you jump the relay and the starter doesn't turn then the starter is suspect #1. You can apply a little CYA and check the voltage at the starter solenoid connection (smaller of the two) with the key turned to start. Should see voltage at the other connection all the time.

Rickkins 07-11-2017 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cougar41 (Post 3349619)
Make sure the starter connections are clean and tight but yes, if you jump the relay and the starter doesn't turn then the starter is suspect #1. You can apply a little CYA and check the voltage at the starter solenoid connection (smaller of the two) with the key turned to start. Should see voltage at the other connection all the time.

Thanks. Bought a new starter and started the process, only to get held up when I couldn't find my #15 wrench...:icon_denk:

Tomorrow is another day.
Thanks again guys...

Rickkins 07-12-2017 11:53 AM

Ok, stop me if you've heard this one before....

Got the new starter in, still won't start.

Turning the key produces soft clicks from the relays, nothing else.
Trying the pin 30-87 trick produces no sound at all.(whereas with the old starter there was a loud single click from the starter)

I'm thinking power to the starter, but I'm sure I took care of everything right, even dremeled the surfaces...

Rickkins 07-12-2017 12:59 PM

All continuity checks out.
Power to battery ok.
Pin 85 has 12 volts when key turned.

Looks like they sold me a lemon...

Rickkins 07-12-2017 03:30 PM

Uh, never mind. When I took it back off, I noticed the new one had two pins, where the old one had 1, and of course I had the wrong one connected...

Doy...

Cougar41 07-13-2017 06:47 PM

Soooooo.....is it starting now?

Rickkins 07-13-2017 07:19 PM

Indeed it is...:icon_nic: