Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan: Grinding noise on passenger side below sliding

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:24 AM
lemmondg@gmail.com
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan: Grinding noise on passenger side below sliding

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan: Grinding noise on passenger side below the backside of the sliding door.

I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan when I make a left (counterclockwise) turn I hear a grinding noise on the opposite (passenger or right) side. It sounds like it is coming from the center area of the vehicle, approximately from lower part of the passenger side sliding door area. I was told that it is definitely the CV axel and the sound was radiating back to the side of the car. I replace that 3 times. I was then told that it was related to my brakes. Those parts have been replaced and nothing in them is rubbing or grinding. They have been inspected multiple times as the culprit. I was then told that it was the bushings in the rear springs causing the problem since the part of the leaf springs connects to the frame in the area of the sound. I had those replaced. I had the sliding door bolts inspected to see it they needed tightening. The bolts to the hinge of the rear windows needed tightening and that eliminated some rattling but not the grinding. I seriously doubt that any part of the engine area could cause this grinding since it is so isolated to just below the rear side of the passenger side sliding door.(Confirmed by passengers sitting there) This does not happen when the brakes are applied. It seems to happen when accelerating and turning left. We noticed it first when the van was only about 5 years old going up steep mountain winding roads in Yosemite. Back then to be able to hear the grinding the van had to be fully loaded with passengers and accelerating, going up a hill while turning left. Now to hear it All I have to do is turn slightly left on a flat road and alone, not even accelerating much. I have been trying to get this fixed for many years and have spent hundreds on diagnostic troubleshooting.

The following users liked this post:
Mikereasons (03-29-2023)
Old 02-17-2018, 01:16 PM
lemmondg@gmail.com
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update The van has been driven with both the passenger side sliding door open and the passenger side front door open. The grinding sound did not go away or move. So I know that it is not a door latch.

The door does not have any auto-opening or closing features.

Last edited by lemmondg@gmail.com; 02-17-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan: Grinding noise on passenger side below sliding