Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: [2008 DGC] Groning noise / vibration in steering wheel and pedals

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:30 PM
nebucad_nezzard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [2008 DGC] Groning noise / vibration in steering wheel and pedals

Hi,

I recently bought a used 2008 Grand Caravan (155k miles), the car is overall in good condition considering the mileage and location (Canada). However, I recently started to feel a weird vibration with kind of a groaning noise when:

- Turning wheels (constant). It doesn't happen on all the steering wheel range though, starts about 10 and 2 o'clock, then stop and start again if I keep turning.
- Braking in straight line (not constantly)
- On speed bumps (straight line)

The noise and vibration happen at the same time. I can feel vibrations in the steering wheel and both pedals, the noise seems to come from the front, below the steering wheel.

I first thought of a steering wheel issue, I flushed the liquid today with ATF4+ (but considering the colour, the one inside was still good). I also found about this steering wheel fluid reservoir issue (filter), but that mostly apply to models prior 2008. From 2008 the reservoir design has changed, no idea if there is the same kind of clogged filter issue with new design.

I'm ready to replace the reservoir tough if I think it can solve the problem, but the symptoms make me think of something else, especially the fact that it happens even with the wheels straight.and when the vehicle is not in motion. That makes me think of a bearing related to power steering, suspension, gimbal, ball joints...

I saw a mechanic yesterday who told me it was probably a bearing on the top (or bottom?) of the shock absorber. Does that make sense? He told me not to worry about it, but I'm cautious.

Any idea?

Thanks

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: [2008 DGC] Groning noise / vibration in steering wheel and pedals