DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Caravan (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan-23/)
-   -   [5th Gen : 08+]: Pulsating brakes (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan/414799-pulsating-brakes.html)

kdewar67 05-23-2018 12:12 PM

Pulsating brakes

I own a 2009 caravan (3.3L). I just replaced both sets of rear rotors, pads, and callipers. The callipers are not the same since one supplier only had one in stock so I had to get the other calliper from another supplier. While changing it all out I made sure to properly clean the hub before installing the rotors. After installation I took the van out for a test drive and at first it seemed okay. Later that week my wife was driving it on the highway and had to apply the brakes somewhat firmly. She noticed quite a bit of pulsating. I then confirmed that myself with another higher speed brake application. After doing a little research I suspected two things. First, maybe the rotors weren't seated properly. Secondly, maybe I had a warped rotor. So I took everything apart, cleaned again, re-insatlled all the parts and then road tested...pulsating still present. Next I replaced my new rotors with even newer rotors...pulsating still present. Now I am stumped. Could it be the mis-matched callipers or is it something else? Before I disassemble for a fourth time does anyone have any recommendations because I am now considering just taking it to a garage as my patience is growing thin.

primem 05-23-2018 10:48 PM

is the pulsation transferred into the steering wheel or brake pedal? If its the steering wheel the problem is the front rotors.

kdewar67 05-24-2018 09:59 PM

Sorry for the delay. I took it for a drive tonight. At 80km/h (50mph) I applied the brakes rather firmly. It seems that most of the pulsating/vibrations are felt in the brake pedal, but there was a little in the steering wheel. However, I think that most times if you have any kind of substantial pulsating or vibrating from almost anything within the wheel well you’re probably going to feel something in the steering wheel. Just to be clear though, I did feel that it was more pronounced in the brake pedal.

primem 05-24-2018 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by kdewar67 (Post 3393999)
However, I think that most times if you have any kind of substantial pulsating or vibrating from almost anything within the wheel well you’re probably going to feel something in the steering wheel.

Is the steering shimmying at highway speed all the time or only when braking?

kdewar67 05-25-2018 06:40 AM

Only when braking.

primem 05-25-2018 09:10 AM

so what does that tell you?...you have a vibration in the steering wheel that is only present when applying the brakes?

It should tell you the vibration is brake related and not transfered into the wheel from anything else. Only the front brakes will transfer into the steering wheel. the fronts can transfer into both the steering and brake pedal. the rear brakes only transfer into the brake pedal.

You did not post your model year. If your model year uses an incorporated parking brake into the rear caliper; when at highway speed apply the ebrake. If the vibration occurs, you also have issues with the rear brakes as only the rear brakes are applied. If no vibration is present using the ebrake...the problem is all from the front. if the ebrake is incorporated into the hat of the rotor, this method cannot be used.

kdewar67 05-25-2018 01:41 PM

I will try the ebrake when my wife brings it home. For now I find that it is a very big coincidence that until I changed the rear brakes I had no vibrations at all which makes me think that the front brakes had no problem. The year is 2009 and the ebrake is incorporated into the calliper so I did have to disconnect it to install the new calliper, but I was careful to re-attach the ebrake correctly.

kdewar67 06-07-2018 11:46 AM

Pulsating Brakes

Hi PRIMEM.

Again...sorry for the late response. My job takes me out of country plus kids and sports = very busy. Anyway, I replaced the front rotors and brake pads, took it for a high speed braking test and what do you know...no vibrations or pulsating. You were right. Thank you for your help.

primem 06-07-2018 09:02 PM

good to hear. thanks for posting the fix.