Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Can a 2-pronged outlet in DGC be converted to 3-prong outlet using 3-prong adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:53 AM
danacat
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can a 2-pronged outlet in DGC be converted to 3-prong outlet using 3-prong adapter?

Hi Guys, I am (unfortunately) as amateur as it gets on the topic of electricity. I have a two-prong wall plug in my 2008 DGC. I would like to be able to plug a three prong laptop power cord plug into it for trips. I just saw a three prong adapter being sold at Home Depot for 3.49. Would this work in this vehicle, as in are there any hidden potential problems to doing this, since it's not a wall outlet in a house ?

Old 10-24-2018, 12:11 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Why do you have a 2 prong wall plug in your vehicle? (by "wall", I assume you mean a residential AC 2 prong outlet?) What is it connected to?

Old 10-24-2018, 12:41 PM
danacat
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Why do you have a 2 prong wall plug in your vehicle? (by "wall", I assume you mean a residential AC 2 prong outlet?) What is it connected to?
Sorry, I meant a 2-prong outlet. This actually came pre-installed in the van by the factory back in 2008. It is in the interior side wall right behind the second row seat behind the driver.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:58 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I assume there is a built in inverter powering the outlet, if so, then yes, what you are proposing will work just fine.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:38 PM
danacat
Rookie

Well, I should have looked more closely at the 3-prong adapter under it's description. I found the following, "Easy to install, simply plug the adapter into an existing outlet and fasten the green tab under the metal wall plate mounting screw to complete the grounding patch, adding extra protection to outlets across your home. Before using, determine if the wall plate screw is grounded by consulting your electrician."

Ughhh, I don't have a metal wall plate mounting screw to complete the grounding patch (a place to fasten the green tab). Hmm, I wonder what else might work ?

Old 01-05-2019, 08:37 AM
dalewpitt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using a three prong AC to a two prong AC adapter is exactly what you want to use and is perfectly safe for you to use. What you DO NOT want to do is use your vehicle's frame to ground the AC voltage. It's already being used by the vehicles 12 Vdc as ground.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Can a 2-pronged outlet in DGC be converted to 3-prong outlet using 3-prong adapter?