DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Caravan (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan-23/)
-   -   [5th Gen : 08+]: TIPM head scratcher (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan/419272-tipm-head-scratcher.html)

Dcoffey85 11-03-2018 02:25 PM

TIPM head scratcher

Good Morning Dodge owners, i have a major problem, I have gone thru 3 TIPM s in the last two months, is there another module that could be causing this failure? currently there is a damaged spot on the brown connector on the TIPM same as on the second one,not sure what is causing this issue but any help would be great. there is a much longer version of the whole thing if needed but there is the long and short of it. Thanks very much in advance

primem 11-03-2018 03:37 PM

post a picture of the damage. loose pin fit can cause burnt/melted connectors

teets.18 11-05-2018 11:46 AM

Are you installing used parts? Have you performed a charging system test?

Wesley Bishop 11-05-2018 03:40 PM

Are you replacing the entire TIPM? What happens that you keep replacing the entire TIPM? Car won't start? More information would be helpful.

GumbyRT 11-05-2018 08:52 PM

What do you mean by damage? Does it appear burned/melted? Other?

You need to determine what circuit it is so you isolate what is potentially a separate problem causing the TIPM to short out.

Dcoffey85 11-06-2018 01:34 PM

Hi everyone thank you all for the replys, I will upload pictures when I get home today. I have installed a “reman” TIPM everything worked great after a reset then that module went haywire like the first one did, after I removed it I found scorching in the same location as the first one are there any pin diagrams for this harness? I have also been told that it could be a faulty PCM that is causing this issue

Dcoffey85 11-06-2018 01:44 PM

So the first TIPM started out dropping me into limp mode then the headlights started randomly turning off, then it would crank but not start. Final issue I started the car to cool it down and went inside to grab my kids came back out and it was shut off, when I cycled the key the lights started flickering and I had a large amount of smoke from under the hood(turns out was coming from under the start relay) installed a replacement did a reset and everything was good for about a month and a half then I came out and the rear wiper had run all night and killed the battery, swapped the battery and it wouldn’t crank or do anything but the rear wiper was still going. The final one lasted about a week, brake lights did not work traction and airbag light stayed on, came out last Thursday and opened the door to flickering lights and no start, release the key and it started to crank.
all three modules have had a scorching on the same pin in the brown connector I will upload pictures today

teets.18 11-06-2018 05:21 PM

Well, I hope you know someone who knows about this stuff. It sounds like you may have a short somewhere. Shorts blow fuses & such.
I don't know how to help you with a short, if it's that.
Stay tuned here for other's input and search YT.

Dcoffey85 11-06-2018 07:59 PM

Scorch Marks

GumbyRT 11-06-2018 08:21 PM

If you sign up for an account on autozone.com you have access to a lot of service information. I don’t know if they’ll have the pin out you need but it’s free to sign up.

It sounds like whatever is powered by that circuit has a direct short to ground causing excessive current flow through the TIPM and damaging it. One way to determine what is powered by that circuit is to remove the connector from the TIPM and use a fused jumper wire to supply battery voltage to it. Start with a 10 amp fuse then try a 20 if that blows right away.

If you don’t notice anything turn on right away, try to operate different accessories one at a time until the fuse blows and make sure to turn them off as you go (if possible). If, for example, The windows don’t work at all, then they probably aren’t powered from that pin. But if one accessory causes the fuse in the jumper wire to blow then that’s the suspect circuit.