Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Vans & CUVs > Dodge Caravan
Reload this Page >

[5th Gen : 08+]: TPMS unwanted, how to disconnect

Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: TPMS unwanted, how to disconnect

Old 05-17-2019, 12:07 PM
wrenching40plus
Angry TPMS unwanted, how to disconnect

I check my tire pressures monthly, don't want to shell out for new wheel sensors. Can't I disconnect the transponders (front & rear) and go on with my life?

Old 05-17-2019, 04:08 PM
GumbyRT
Rookie

The only way to disable it will be thru programming, and even then youíll be hard pressed to find a shop that has both the capability and willingness to do so. Federal law requires TPMS on all passenger vehicles since 2008 so the shop would be committing a felony to disable it.

The sensors are inside the tires, so removing them wonít do any good - youíll just be dealing with an alert that the TPMS system needs service.

Your choices are to deal with the alert or to have new sensors installed.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:46 PM
wrenching40plus

[QUOTE=GumbyRT;3439395]The only way to disable it will be thru programming, and even then youíll be hard pressed to find a shop that has both the capability and willingness to do so. Federal law requires TPMS on all passenger vehicles since 2008 so the shop would be committing a felony to disable it. /QUOTE]

That pretty much agrees with what I've heard, except for the felony part, according to a lawyer/friend who looked up some case results; YMMV. Thanks for responding.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:34 PM
GumbyRT
Rookie

Youíre welcome. I wasnít totally sure it was a felony- I just figured breaking federal law and felony were the same- but thatís why Iím a mechanic and not a lawyer. I would expect, at the least, any shop caught disabling the TPMS would be paying a fine in the tens of thousands as it would be on the same plane as modifying the emissions software or similar violations.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:36 PM
georgef
Veteran

There is Windows software available that can turn off the TPMS, it is Appcar DiagFCA (cost $49). You need a computer running Windows and an OBD interface compatible with ELM327 (cost $10 and up).

Old 05-18-2019, 10:38 PM
GumbyRT
Rookie

Originally Posted by georgef View Post
There is Windows software available that can turn off the TPMS, it is Appcar DiagFCA (cost $49). You need a computer running Windows and an OBD interface compatible with ELM327 (cost $10 and up).
....thereís also that

Old 05-21-2019, 05:17 PM
Roddie Toney

Originally Posted by GumbyRT View Post
....thereís also that
On my 18 Caravan you put regular stems in then drive. Light will flash then go off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: TPMS unwanted, how to disconnect

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.