Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Strut replacement on 02 Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:39 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut replacement on 02 Caravan

Does anybody have the full procedures, or know where I can look, for replacing the front struts on an 02 Caravan? My wife's van needs them repaced and I have never done struts before.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:21 PM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: Strut replacement on 02 Caravan

Your best bet is to aquire a Haynes type serivce manual. You will need a spring compressor as the vehicle springs are under pressure all the time. You may even want to take it someplace to have it done, your alignment should also be checked after such a repair.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:44 PM
jhtopilko

If your replacing them because of a clunk in the front end, change the sway bar bushings first.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:12 PM
PartyOnWayne

Even with a service manual, make note of the orientation of all the parts. Note the position of the top of the strut. There is probably a notch in it that lines up with the clevis. Note where the beginning and end of the coil spring is. Being careful and taking your time will ensure you don't have to re-do it. Don't have any pets or children around when you have that spring compressed and off the strut. We don't want any accidents, just a fun day of turning wrenches. Good Luck.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:12 PM
webbee
Professional

ORIGINAL: PartyOnWayne

Even with a service manual, make note of the orientation of all the parts. Note the position of the top of the strut. There is probably a notch in it that lines up with the clevis. Note where the beginning and end of the coil spring is. Being careful and taking your time will ensure you don't have to re-do it. Don't have any pets or children around when you have that spring compressed and off the strut. We don't want any accidents, just a fun day of turning wrenches. Good Luck.
I find a digital camera invaluable when disassembling/reassembling parts. This job isn't very hard but it does need attention to detail as PartyOnWayne has pointed out.

Quick Reply: Strut replacement on 02 Caravan