Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rear Hatch stuck. Can't open hatch.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 PM
sapporo
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same engineer that designed the strut towers and the instrument cluster and the spare tire carrier, and differential pin retainer. Man, I hope they fired that dumba$$

Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

It maybe the latch assy or the liftgate actuator motor.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Ole Goat
Professional
Thumbs up Rear Hatch

Well got it fixed, the steel rod was siezed up where you can't very well get at it. Anyway took off the actuator, sprayed in plenty of penetrating oil on the rod, not on the actuator.

Then took a pair of pliers and moved the rod side to side, then more penetrating oil. Its nice and free now, once this was completed sprayed on some White Lithium Grease low temp, reinstalled the Actuator and gave it a try. Worked like it was new with exception to the Key part it is still stuck and won't turn.

That small white piece of plastic some one was refering to is the part that secures the handle to the outside of the hatch. It is siezed in there and tried to move it with pliers and it won't budge.

One other mention is the 2 Black, what appear to be switches on either side of the Hatch about 8 inches from the bottom are a key player in the operation of the Electric lock & unlocking of the Hatch.

Thanks to all for the tips on getting this back in working order, it sure is appreciated.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:28 PM
SusanAwesome
Default Awesome Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help!!! I thought the problem had to do with a lady who backed into me, but it just ended up being stuck. Greased it up and works just like I need it! Thanks, and just in time to move cross-country in the Vanerator! Thanks again, I almost feel like I owe you a hundred bucks.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Hutchirk

I know this posting is a couple years old ... but I really want to thank you for that step-by-step... the hardest part of the fix was keeping my patience ... works great now!
Thank again

Old 07-05-2011, 02:24 PM
jehiatt
Smile My latch fix

My latch was intermittent opening tho I could feel the handle had resistance when the latch was on unlocked. I took the covers off and found the latch release rod is not being pulled up far enough to fully unlatch the clamp. It appeared I needed to shorten the rod but no easy way was found to get to the handle assembly inside the door frame.
I took a small wrench and another to turn it to bend the bar to shorten it.
It worked but I risked tearing it all up. Given more time and less heat I may have made a few bending tools to make sure I didn't bend anything other than the bar. Latch works great now.

Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Terry L Reed

WOW .... that's a lot of stuff to do for a single old gal. Mine will open sometimes, then not others. LIKE NOW. It opened yesterday. Not today. Has done this before, and ... it came open while driving three days ago!! I am not able to remove a door panel. I wonder if its the auto door locks somehow because they've begun to respond every other time to the lil bblack thingie for your keychain that says 'lock/unlock/alarm' - the regular key won't open it, and if I hit the unlock/lock button on the driver door, that wont open it either except .. when it feels like it! What ya think is going on? Stupid door has a mind of its own! Trying to sell it and know for SURE it will NOT sell if I cant get this issue settled. Sigh! Mechanics in Alaska are too spendy as it is, so no going there, plus there isnt a Dodge dealership within 90 miles of me.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 AM
SallyJo

I have a 13 dodge grand caravan that we purchased used 5 months ago. The tailgate in stuck and we can't get it opened, manually or with any of the buttons on keypad or in the van. Can someone please help.....it's showing gate on the control panel and the interior lights won't shut off. It's stuck a little open and I can't open it or close it

Old 09-01-2014, 11:45 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would get the vehicle into the dealer and have them look at the problem. Do you know if you are still under the basic warranty? 3 years or 36k.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:09 PM
Bill Carter

I found the hole and the cover, hole was blocked by sealant, I have no idea what I move with the screwdriver, I feel a lot of stuff in there. I'm only doing this because I need to change a tail light, crazy. Back when we had sanity in the country you changed a tail light with a scewdriver

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch stuck. Can't open hatch.