Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Power window repair tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 01:27 PM
witchy woman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window repair tips

Researching these forums is very educational to say the least. It's interesting to find the common problems and to know that your vehicle is common and often a problem. About a year ago, the driver's side window in our 2001 Caravan slowly quit working. I paid the dealer some $250 or more to install a new window regulator. About 3 months ago, it quit - just about the same time the one on the passenger side did. Well, I got to work on this and other sites to see if I could figure it out. Long story short - the motors in both sides just needed a little cleaning.

So before you pay someone an outrageous amount of money, spend some time first and do what I did. You'll need a screwdriver and stiff putty knife to remove the door panels. There are three torx head screws that hold the regulator to the door and these can be frustrating to remove because they are secured by threaded brass retainers inside a rubber bushing. Once you have the regulator loose from the door, remove the motor housing (two screws), unscrew the motor amature (it has reverse threads - just spin it with your fingers) and clean it up. Carbon from the brushes builds up on the stator(?) - the copper part of the armature that contacts the brushes. Use some very fine grit sandpaper. Then just clean the carbon dust from the housing with some cleaning fluid and reinstall everything. Total time about 45 minutes per door. Total cost - $0. Both windows work like new. I'm sure I'll need to do it again in the future, but at least I know what and how now.

Check to make sure the cables in the regulator aren't bound or rusted. Also made a frustrating discovery. Turns out all the dealer did was replace the motor on the driver's side- even though I paid for the entire regulator assembly. That old cliche is true - trust everyone or trust no one. Makes no difference in the end.

I have a similar problem with the starter motor on my boat engine (due to its location, its subject to moisture damage). I actually have three starters for it now. Two sit on the shelf in reserve. I swap it out when it gets corroded, disassemble, clean and store the one that was removed until it's time to use it again.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:19 PM
taxi mom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power window repair tips

Could not agree with this more. Our 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan driver side window went down and would not shut on literally the coldest weekend of the year. By sheer luck I found this website.. My husband and neighbor followed the advice and IT WORKED!!! Thank you so much. Besides saving a few hundred in repair bills, we do not have to worry about how todrive our car to get repaired in single digit temps this week. Thanks again. Hope others read your advice.

Quick Reply: Power window repair tips