Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

transmission,cat?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:19 PM
mad miket
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission,cat?????

hey everyone i need some help with my van and my mind so all help will be appreciated my wife was driving our grand caravan and it broke down along side the road the van drives like it is stuck in a gear or like it is pulling a huge load or maybe like the brakes are locked up(the brakes are fine i checked) i dont know if maybe the transmission has a problem or maybe the cat converter is clogged but if that was the case i dont know why it would screw up all at once while driving somebody please help me

Old 10-23-2006, 07:11 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: transmission,cat?????

What year van do you have? What engine does it have? This information can be very useful.

Anyways, take a rubber mallet or something and give the cat' a little hit. Usually (but not all the time), if the cat' is bad, it will rattle.
If the cat' is bad, you do not have to go the dealer route. Most auto parts stores carry after market cat's. Also, online, naturally, you can find many stores that carry the. For instance, Jegs.com, and Summitracing.com carry catalytic convertors, many for under $100. You can use muffler clamps to hold the new cat' in place, or, you can weld it in place. (If you or a friend don't have a welder, most shops can weld 'er on there for pretty cheap) You don't have to be stuck paying $800 or some crazy thing for a dealer to replace it.

Depending on how old the van is...
1. Cycle the ignition key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. To cycle the ignition key ON means to turn it only as far as it takes to get the radio to come on. It does not mean to turn the engine on.

2. Count the number of times the "check engine" lamp on the instrument panel flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate individual codes. For example, flash-flash-flash [pause] flash-flash represents the code 32.

A code of "55" represents end of error codes. If this is all you get then no error codes are stored in the computer. This is the normal condition for a neon.
The "check the flashes" method is typically only for vehicles from around 1996 and older. (These are typically OBD codes)
The newer ones pop up an OBDII code on the odometer. (Such as P9999)
Click on one of the following links for what each code means: OBD, OBDII.

Check the codes as desribed above and write them down. Than, reset the computer. To do this, simply disconnect the battery negative cable and leave it disconnected for about 10 minutes. After reconnecting the battery, see if the problem is gone.

Quick Reply: transmission,cat?????