DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Caravan (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan-23/)
-   -   01 GCaravan - Fan medium settings dead (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan/88455-01-gcaravan-fan-medium-settings-dead.html)

PatrickV 01-09-2007 04:35 PM

01 GCaravan - Fan medium settings dead

My front and rear blowers now only work on the top setting, which has me intermittently running it on full (to heat the car or defog the windows) and off. Full is loud, and off is... well, off. Repair shop says he needs to look at wiring charts and "trace the problem", which sounds expensive, or at least unpredictable. Any ideas?

-P

JRR 01-10-2007 12:00 PM

RE: 01 GCaravan - Fan medium settings dead

Look behind the glove box door. Squeeze the sides after you open it to release and drop it down. On the 2002-2003 there is a relay switch there that goes bad. Pull it out and replace it. I think your model has it located in the same place. They all go eventually. I just replaced mine. About $25 at the dealer. You can't buy it anywhere else. JRR

PatrickV 01-11-2007 02:52 PM

Amazing - thx a million. The parts guy called the part a "resistor". Mine was $25, but he said some models can be more expensive if they're in a module.

Jetmeck 01-11-2007 03:17 PM

Guys that resistor is only for the front blower, right ? That has nothing to do with the rear blower.

Jetmeck 01-11-2007 03:18 PM

The rear blower motor has a resistor block or module that they only sell as a unit with the blower for abour 300 dollars.

moautophd 01-21-2007 10:48 PM

The resistor block is the typical culprit here. It is easily replaced as it is directly behind the glovebox. If it fails a second time after replacement then the suspect is usually the blower motor itself drawing more amperage than it should (getting old). Usually a motor replacement and new resistor will fix.

vipergg 01-21-2007 11:58 PM

Also check to see if you have air filtration or not , if you have it and the filter plugs this causes decreased airflow and causes the resistor to burn out , replace the filter or leave it out completely if you don't want to pay $20 for a replacement filter , always thought this was a kind of useless feature unless you had some type severe allergies .

smokeygrouse 01-26-2007 02:08 AM

Wow ...... I'm having the same problem! Problem with BOTH blowers happened at the same time ....

I'm a little confused with the responses above.... Will their be two seperate resistors or just one? Or ..... Gulp! Would it be the module or a combination of things?

Thanks for clearing this up for me!!!!!

norton 02-24-2007 09:43 PM

SAme with me. 2001 GC EX. Both blew at the same time.

Is the rear block indeed integreated and >$300 to replace? In reality, we run the rear full all the time anyway...

Jetmeck 02-26-2007 05:22 AM

The front and rear systems are completely separate at least as far as the blowers go.
The rear blower has the resistor block built into it. I have also heard that the rear blower motor speed is adjusted because of something to do with the motor windings. I recently replaced my rear blower because I only had high speed and it squawled a lot. It fixed my problems and I had no front blower problems.
Dealer wanted about 260 dollars for it. I got one from the junkyard for 25 bucks.