Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

BCM Update...why should we pay for it????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
smokem10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM Update...why should we pay for it????

If something requires the bcm to be updated, why should we have to pay for it? example my door locks work then don't and windows do the same. I didn't do anything to the bcm, and obviousely dodge new that the original software was old and came out with an update....so shouldn't they pay for it???

It is only 92 dollars to do the update and will hopefully fix the problem, but since its a software issue, I just think Dodge should have to pay for that.....

Old 02-23-2009, 08:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Call the factory customer service line. Should be on the back of your owner manual.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How old is your vehicle?
Your vehicle came with a warranty. During the warranty repairs and adjustments are covered.
Sorry but I don't understand why someone else should pay for your repairs after the warranty.
If a hard part is improved after manufacture should you get that free too?
If your looking for a perfect vehicle that will never wear out, you'll never find it.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 AM
01grandcaravan

agree!!! softwares have bugs as they're written that's why microsoft continually give "free updates" to clean it up. defective hardware or parts gets recall and consumers don't have to pay for it!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM
smokem10

its a 2005 GC...thats the thing, its not a repair its an update...repairs are a different story. It doesn't cost them anything to plug a cable to my OBDII and the other end to the computer, then hit update software. Done in less than 5 minutes. I am not looking for a worry free car, and have no problem to pay the 92 dollars if I have too, but it was just a question....

Originally Posted by rabbler
How old is your vehicle?
Your vehicle came with a warranty. During the warranty repairs and adjustments are covered.
Sorry but I don't understand why someone else should pay for your repairs after the warranty.
If your looking for a perfect vehicle that will never wear out, you'll never find it.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Nofrag
Champion

Originally Posted by rabbler
How old is your vehicle?
Hard parts cost money to make each one, and labor to install. A software update costs chrysler money once(not really because they have programmers on staff, if they weren't doing updates then they'd still be spending the same amount), and takes as much effort to install as plugging in the computer and hitting a button.

Also, when software has problems, the update that fixes it is called a patch, a patch to fix defective software should never cost money. I'll bet the dealer didn't pay anything to get the patch either, they're just charging that money for the service of plugging in. This is why they are called stealerships.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Not all flash updates are cover under a TSB, If you had read the bottom of the TSB. Policy = Reimbursable within the provision of the warranty. This means, if the flash is not covered you need to pay. Also in case you didn't know, the techs are a flat rate pay system, that means they are not payed by the hour, but by the jobs. ( Piece work ) just change the word.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 PM
ghlkal
Talking

Originally Posted by smokem10
If something requires the bcm to be updated, why should we have to pay for it?
I agree with you. Of course, I want the techs to get paid; OTOH, it's a very straightforward job.

Maybe Chrysler should let us download and install the updates ourselves =8-O

Old 02-25-2009, 01:12 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's nice that we can download computer drivers (Patches) and install them ourselves free. (usually)
If you took your computer to a repair shop for an unknown problem and they fix it with a software update do you think the repair should still be free.

As mentioned the software at the dealer is free. Installing it into your vehicle (Labor!) is what your being charged for. (plus diagnosis if applicable) Also the equipment required to update the software is very expensive.
It would be nice if it was free but I think the dealer (or aftermarket shop) has every right to charge for this service.