Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Grand Caravan instrument cluster problems

Old 01-27-2008, 11:40 PM
dacecil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Grand Caravan instrument cluster problems

I have a 2000 Grand Caravan SE with 94k miles. Recently it started an intermittent problem with the dash. You get in, start it up, and nothing on the cluster. No tach, no speedo, no odo, no PRNDL. The dash is just blank. All needles down. Also, the buttons on the climate control system do not work. A/C, recirc, rear defrost also don't work. The mechanical climate controls work fine. Blower, temp controls.

Next time you get in the car and start it up, everything is back and working fine.

I'm pretty sure it's not a fuse since it's intermittent.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and do you know what the fix is?

Thanks,
Dale

Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 AM
holtzer1
Rookie
Default RE: 2000 Grand Caravan instrument cluster problems

your losing communication off the bus line. the bus is a 2 wire communication system that transfers information/power from one computer to the other. they all must work or youll lose communication at the last good controller connection. the bus feeds the pcm, tcm, bcm, overhead module (if equipped), cluster, and everything those modules control.
My personal GUESS (because you need a scanner to diagnose the problem correctly) is you have a cluster that is going out intermittantly OR a possible ignition switch problem. takeit to a shop and have them scan for codes. sometimes a loss of bus code will not trigger a MIL. (check engine/malfunction indicator light)

Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Jjimenez
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2000 Grand Caravan instrument cluster problems

Before you go and spend all that money...go to your vanand place the key in the ignition and turn to ACC (do not start engine yet). Push and hold the black mileage reset button on your dashboard for about 20 seconds and your computer should reset.

The following users liked this post:
Timo Greenwold (01-10-2020)
Old 06-05-2011, 07:12 PM
orange1954

I have the same problem. What was the cause of this? I've ran a new ground cable, pulled the IOD fuse, pushed and held the trip reset for countless times, and replaced the ignition.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 AM
aspiedude

The problem is a bad solder where the wiring harness plugs into the instrument cluster. It is very easy to fix. I just did this to my 2000 Caravan this past weekend. All you do is remove the instument cluster (which takes about 5 minutes) take the cluster apart and resolder the pin. It took me 30 minutes to fix total. Mine started doing this about a year ago, and I noticed one day, out of sheer frustration, if I hit the dash just above the pannel it would start working again. I researched the problem and found this page on another fourum. Near the bottom it describes what I wrote above. I just left mine alone, hitting the dash whenever it would go out. Well last Friday a litte tap to the dash made my gas hand fall off the gauge. So I figured it was time to fix it. I have only soldered once before in my life, and so I was worried about that part, but it was a piece of cake and everything is working fine now. Good luck.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:09 PM
stargreen
Default 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan cluster

I have a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan and the cluster stop working ( no speedometer, no rpm, no PRND, no gas gauge, no blinkers) about an hour after I jump started my sons 98 Honda civic. I have checked all fuses, tried to do the reset thing by holding the trip button down. I bought a used cluster from the Instrument Cluster Store online with a 90 day warranty ... plugged it in and still nothing. The back lights in both clusters light up but that is all. Please, someone help.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:07 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stargreen
I have a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan and the cluster stop working ( no speedometer, no rpm, no PRND, no gas gauge, no blinkers) about an hour after I jump started my sons 98 Honda civic. I have checked all fuses, tried to do the reset thing by holding the trip button down. I bought a used cluster from the Instrument Cluster Store online with a 90 day warranty ... plugged it in and still nothing. The back lights in both clusters light up but that is all. Please, someone help.
Hi stargreen,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your concern. Have you taken a look at your wiring harness to see if it looks damaged at all?

Old 04-13-2015, 06:34 PM
stargreen

Jack, yes I have looked at the wire harness' and all looks just fine

Old 04-13-2015, 08:28 PM
BrianGainey

Originally Posted by dacecil
I have a 2000 Grand Caravan SE with 94k miles. Recently it started an intermittent problem with the dash. You get in, start it up, and nothing on the cluster. No tach, no speedo, no odo, no PRNDL. The dash is just blank. All needles down. Also, the buttons on the climate control system do not work. A/C, recirc, rear defrost also don't work. The mechanical climate controls work fine. Blower, temp controls.

Next time you get in the car and start it up, everything is back and working fine.

I'm pretty sure it's not a fuse since it's intermittent.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and do you know what the fix is?

Thanks,
Dale
Look at what aspiedude said, I've heard of this several times, never run across it myself, but have had this conversation before.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:16 PM
Timo Greenwold

Before you go and spend all that money...go to your vanand place the key in the ignition and turn to ACC (do not start engine yet). Push and hold the black mileage reset button on your dashboard for about 20 seconds and your computer should reset.

This worked for my 2006 Caravan, but it needs to be done every time, I start the van.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Grand Caravan instrument cluster problems