Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Grand Caravan 3.3 LEAKS! Help!

Old 09-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Ladytaxi88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Grand Caravan 3.3 LEAKS! Help!

I have a water leak coming from somewhere between the motor and tranny/flywheel. I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 6cyl.

When Tom jacked it up it had a steady drip. He has checked the freeze plugs. It is NOT leaking from the sides of the motor that he can see. As the water depleted it started like POOLING...In other words it acted like it was pooling somewhere and then as it filled that area it would POUR in a steam...then stop again.

He took the fly wheel cover off to see if he could see anything there, but no luck. He is telling me that the water is coming out between the engine block and the fly wheel. IS there a freeze plug there? Could it be a freeze plug? Or what? We are stumped. Does anyone have a diagram of a 3.3 engine without the tranny or anything attached to it? That would help.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to DF! Post your question in the Caravan section. This section is to report the Dodge Forum internet site issues.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:20 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Moved the thread for you. In most heads and blocks, there are freeze plugs in the back. If you live up north where is snows and they lay sand/salt, corrosion is possible. Has the engine ever run hot before?

Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree it could be a cylinder head. But I would do a cooling system pressure check. Because it could also be a heater hose.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Ladytaxi88

We have replaced all the plugs on the top and 4 on the block...a total of 8. We had no idea there were any more than that. Last Friday it got hot due to the thermostat housing having a hole in it. For the past year the van has had leak after leak. Replaced the radiator, replaced the line from the water pump to the heater core...it fell apart as he took it off. The van has 262,000 plus miles on it. When I got it there was 87,000 miles on it. I run it 10-12 hours a day..5 days a week as a taxi. We just got the news that there is indeed a freeze plug on the backside facing the flywheel. We are now trying to figure out what to do. I really can not afford to pay to have the tranny dropped so we can replace ALL other plugs. In fact once we get THOSE done we will replace even the ones on the block that are not bad. I am tired of being down 2-3 days a month. I live in FL and don't need a freeze plug. LOL Thank you for your answer. I sure wish there was a place that you could go and chat with people about car repairs...forums are nice...but it takes so long to get an answer. We sat here all day yesterday thinking the worst (cracked block). It is good to know it's not the block, but still going to cost more than I can afford. Sure wish I could make $75 an hour like our mechanics around here.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Ladytaxi88

I just asked to be friends on FB...My name is Nancy Flores.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Grand Caravan 3.3 LEAKS! Help!