Notices
Dodge Challenger Forum for the 2008+ Challenger. This includes the SE, SXT, R/T, Shaker, Scat Pack, SRT and Hellcat models.

R/T or R/T Scat Pack? (New Member)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 05:46 PM
DodgeRebel95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/T or R/T Scat Pack? (New Member)

Hey everybody, I'm both new to the forum, and new to the Dodge world (as of last August). I purchased myself a 2013 blacked-out SXT Challenger, and I've been loving it ever since. At first it was all about the looks, since I wasn't an engine junkie, but as I started getting into cars more (prefereably the different challengers), I wanted to make the switch to a HEMI very quickly, and very badly. I won't bore you with further details, but here's what I'm looking at here: a recent model R/T, or a recent model Scat Pack. What are your takes on them?

Since I've been looking into both models very carefully, I'm seeing a lot more love for Scat Packs (which wouldn't sway my final decision), but I'm wondering if this is only a speed difference I'm looking at. Would a good ol' R/T suit my needs for a V8? Or would I be missing something without the Scat Pack? Mind you, I'm not a super speed demon, but this'll definately be the upgrade I need, and the car I plan to keep for a very long time.

What are your takes on both vehicles? Got any insight? And thanks!

Old 02-07-2017, 01:13 PM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How deep is your wallet? The Scat will cost more up front than the R/T. And the insurance for either one will jump up too. Both R/T and R/T Scat Pack, will be able to put a smile on your face. Going from a V6 to an V8 will do that every time you hit that gas pedal.

I have a R/T 5.7L and I have been happy with the HP. Plus the gas octane requirement is regular/mid grade. Easier on the wallet when filling the tank. You can do after market performance up grades
to boost the HP.

The Scat has the 6.4L and HP rating is 100+ HP more than the R/T and requires higher octane gas.
You will spend more at the pump for the extra HP. You can do after market performance upgrades to boost your HP too.

Either vehicle will more than likely put a big grin on your face.

Again, how deep is your wallet?

Old 02-07-2017, 02:59 PM
DodgeRebel95

Originally Posted by usmc1811
How deep is your wallet? The Scat will cost more up front than the R/T. And the insurance for either one will jump up too. Both R/T and R/T Scat Pack, will be able to put a smile on your face. Going from a V6 to an V8 will do that every time you hit that gas pedal.

I have a R/T 5.7L and I have been happy with the HP. Plus the gas octane requirement is regular/mid grade.
Easier on the wallet when filling the tank. You can do after market performance up grades
to boost the HP.

The Scat has the 6.4L and HP rating is 100+ HP more than the R/T and requires higher octane gas.
You will spend more at the pump for the extra HP. You can do after market performance upgrades to boost your HP too.

Either vehicle will more than likely put a big grin on your face.

Again, how deep is your wallet?
Hey, thanks for your input - and I've since been digging far enough to decide I'll be going after the R/T. And yes, I noticed the price difference -- absolutely nuts with some of the Scat models. So yeah, R/T is what I'll be saving up for instead. I've always had a strong taste for the real thing - and not a "half-version" so to speak (V6), and I can't wait to get me a real muscle car.
So until then, what are your pros and cons on the R/T? Any tips for the future? Thanks!

Old 02-07-2017, 06:19 PM
usmc1811
Veteran

Your pros would be adding an after market exhaust and CA intake. It's your least expensive upgrade. Adding a chip could be a con because it will just add additional expenses at the gas pump.
Be sure to have the correct tire setup when you buy your ride. Tire size and brand are key to better ride performance. Choose color and markings/stripes carefully too.
One last thought, be sure to test drive and test all equipment that is on the vehicle you purchase. Drive vehicle hard enough to be sure all mechanicals are working properly.
Test all electrical and electronics too. Be sure ask about anything and everything on the vehicle. If they don't know the answer, make sure the dealership finds out and gives you an answer. Again do not drive off the dealership lot until you are completely satisfied.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:41 AM
DodgeRebel95

Originally Posted by usmc1811
Your pros would be adding an after market exhaust and CA intake. It's your least expensive upgrade. Adding a chip could be a con because it will just add additional expenses at the gas pump.
Be sure to have the correct tire setup when you buy your ride. Tire size and brand are key to better ride performance. Choose color and markings/stripes carefully too.
One last thought, be sure to test drive and test all equipment that is on the vehicle you purchase. Drive vehicle hard enough to be sure all mechanicals are working properly.
Test all electrical and electronics too. Be sure ask about anything and everything on the vehicle. If they don't know the answer, make sure the dealership finds out and gives you an answer. Again do not drive off the dealership lot until you are completely satisfied.
Thanks for the input, man I'm reading up all I can about these cars, and hopefully I'll get more in-depth & technical with them by the time I purchase the R/T. As for colors, I've always wanted white w/ a black wraparound stripe on the rear - though I think that may be only for scat packs. Either way, I think something along those lines is what I'll be going for. What are the preferred tire brands if you don't mind me asking?

Old 02-08-2017, 01:13 PM
usmc1811
Veteran

I'm not sure what brand of OEM tire FCA is installing on their vehicles these days.
My R/T came with the GoodYear brand, the tire is a summer drive only high performance tire. They are 20's and they are not a cheap tire. I think what ever brand of OEM FCA is installing will meet the performance needs of that vehicle.

An after market brand of tire I like is a Nitto.

When you do need a new set of tires, shop around and shop online too. I found my deal online.