DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Charger (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger-74/)
-   -   ram 1500 faster then charger rt? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger/117572-ram-1500-faster-then-charger-rt.html)

rappin_trashman 07-30-2007 04:00 AM

ram 1500 faster then charger rt?

you know, ive got to say...you guys drive a bad ass car...i dont care how you look at it...after i test drove a new one...i instantly wanted a hemi...9 months later i got one...but in a dodge ram rumble bee...the test drive experience has me wanting a charger rt instead...REAL bad...so i went and test drove a used one about 3 weeks ago...somehow it felt slower...was certified used...VIN was ok...they gave me a payment i didnt like...so i walked away...i came home...and my truck was so much faster...even around 3000-4000 rpms...it felt like it had so much more pull...i mean...this is a TRUCK not a race car...this past week...the same deal except i was ready for the payment...they moved up...so i said didnt want it...came home...and my truck flew...i understand that me going from a dodge ram rumble bee reg cab ram...to a dodge neon...is like night and day...but im tellin you...my truck would smoke that car...so...here is my question...is a ram 1500 regular cab faster then a charger rt...or...does mine have some sort of chip(ive used 87 octane since i bought it and it runs great so i doubt that)...is there any way to tell i have a chip setting on my truck...my only other logic is there was something wrong with that car...

they all said the owner of the dealership had it before...etc...etc...i spoke with him(cause he wants my truck)...and he was asking me how well chargers respond to mods...and that stock form...they run this at the track...etc...etc...

i just wanted your guys' input...thanks!

IXLR8 07-30-2007 08:21 AM

RE: ram 1500 faster then charger rt?

Hmmm lets see, 400 lbs heavier, poorer aerodynamics, poorer traction, same engine. I'm gonna have to go with the Charger. I have driven the SRT-10 truck, and it was pretty quick, but it really "plowed" in the turns. I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Maybe you should compare it to say.. a Ford F-150, or a Titan. Although I have no doubts that "as trucks go" you own a very quick truck. Acceleration is just one aspect of a car, it is the total package that you compare.

;)

MangoInTX 07-30-2007 08:42 AM

I agree w/IXLR8, all around the Charger w/a 5.7 has advantages over a RAM 15005.7 regular cab.

The RAM Daytona's had a lighter frame than a normal 1500 and I would expect the Rumble Bee has the same lighter frame, but it's still heaver and the weight distribution isn'tgood.

rappin_trashman 07-30-2007 08:57 AM

I totally understand what you guys are saying...a truck is a truck...I just felt that because of those factors the charger would accelerate much quicker...maybe the owner that had it just beat the hell out of it...either way...that's why I was posting I couldn't understand it...I don't own a charger so I figured I would get some input...shoudve asked the dealer to race me and see if it was faster...but I swear...it doesn't matter what gear its in...it just felt like it should have had more...thanks for the replies!

Stroker 07-30-2007 10:06 PM

What gear does a charger have? My Ram has 3.90's and from a red light I think it would be a close race. Hell they both run the 1/4 mile in the 15's don't they? I think the Rams with the 3.90's have a leg up on the Charger which I am thinking has the 3.42 (?). The AWD Charger has the 3.73's I think but I believe the rest have longer legs. Beleive it or not that makes a big difference.

IXLR8 07-31-2007 06:11 AM

I think it would be closer in a 1/8th mile race. The last half of the quarter mile aerodynamics come into play, and the trucks have to work much harder.

DevilsReject 07-31-2007 08:01 AM

The 5.7L Hemi powered LX cars (Magnum, Charger, 300C) all run the quarter in mid 13's to low 14's..... soooooooo unless you're running a modified truck or a SRT-10......you wont be faster then a Charger in a Ram...

Having said that, the reason you most likely feel as though the Ram is faster, is due to the "slushbox" transmission in the Charger. Most Ram's are geared differently compared to a Charger, and I'd bet money that's what you were feeling. It's also highly possible you were testdriving an AWD Charger, which are slow to begin with....

rappin_trashman 07-31-2007 09:32 AM

nope this car wasn't awd...so the only thing I can assume is the owner of the stealership beat the hell out of it..while he 'demoed' the car...he kept saying I gotta goto the track this car runs this and that...I mean not that it matters because I love my truck I was just like...is my truck really that quick or is there something wrong with that paticular car...I thought that a charger would eat the ram up...that is until a guy on the ram forum with a few mods beat a 300c with a quad cab just after installing his superchips flashpaq...

again...you guys drive a bad ass car...but not bad enough and practical enough for me to trade my truck for one =o)

mnboy 07-31-2007 02:22 PM

Trashman,
Here are some numbers, if it at all helps: my Daytona Charger would run 14.02 with a Jet 2 chip and K&N in it. If your truck can handle that, then you are faster. Also, since you are seated higher, your perception would be different and you may "think" you are faster. Also, Reject also said transmissions are different as well as rear ratio gears -- my Daytona has 2.82 rear gears (what we used to call "highway gears") and your RAM 1500 is using either 3.21 or 3.55 (what we used to call "going camping" gearing) -- however, my 1971 Plymouth 440 GTX had the Hurst 4 speed with 3.54 Dana 60 gears(the Dana 60's highest gear) and was a great drag gear. We definately have a clear case of apples and oranges here -- without numbers, a person could "think" or "feel" completely different -- while it might be just the same...

:)
MN

MangoInTX 07-31-2007 07:26 PM

Post up some pics of that RumbleBee RTM, I'd love to see her. There are probably a ton of mods for that truck.

You knowat times I wish I had my 03 RAM QC 5.7.