DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Charger (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger-74/)
-   -   More DeLorenzo rants (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger/16579-more-delorenzo-rants.html)

TeeWJay426 01-20-2005 09:56 AM

More DeLorenzo rants

Peter Delorenzo reporting on the Detroit Auto show had this to say on the new Not-a-Charger; I have to say he got this one 100% right....

The Emperor's New Clothes Award, Or, Put On These Magic Goggles and You'll See the Light. The Dodge Magnum Sedan, aka the new Dodge Charger, could have swept a number of awards besides this one, such as Best Display of Stubborness by a Car Company, Best Talking to Ourselves Award, as in, "We Know What We're Doing and Everyone Else is Wrong," Most Overt Manipulation of the Media, Best Attempt at Trying to Make a Connection to its NASCAR "Racertainment" Version - a connection that just wasn't there, no matter how much Chrysler tried to spin it. They even dragged out Richard Petty as if he would somehow impart some level of magic to the Charger that just was nowhere to be found. None of it worked. The bottom line on this Dodge sedan version of the LX platform is that it has none of the brutal muscle car-elegance of the Magnum, and it has none of the road presence of the 300C. And unless you put Chrysler's Magic Goggles on, add the custom Chrysler Kool-Aid IV drip attachment and the Kool-Aid Patch, it is nothing but a chunky, homely, boring sedan desperately trying to be something else.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7982/1F6EC4CBB2884A2694747363A6B6FC35.jpg[/IMG]

The full link is here:

http://www.autoextremist.com/page2.shtml#Rant

Hemi RT 01-20-2005 03:41 PM

RE: More DeLorenzo rants

This car seems to be getting the reviews Mustang got when it went to a 4cyl and front wheel drive along with the old Daytona in the 80's.

hwystar 01-20-2005 06:10 PM

I have to agree. There are so many other ways that dodge could have styled this car. I have seen a number of artistis renditions that I would have gone to pocket for tomorrow and plunked down a deposit on. This thing though is sadly not one of them. All we can hope for is that in the next model year or two as is customary with most car companies that they restyle it to be more appealing. Look at how much was changed in the intrepid from the first generation to the second. Hwystar

VegasHemi 01-21-2005 01:09 AM

I think the critics are just that, critical. The Charger which I agree could have been done up with better styling but you have to remember the tooling costs for building a car from scratch are outrageous. The normal payback is three years on average for car manufacturers to re-coup the cost of re-tooling. Keeping similar body styles and interiors keeps not only tooling costs down, but also engineering costs and specialty part costs to a minimum. Looking at it from D/C's point of view, they have a winner with the Magnum and the 300, so what they are offering is another model at minimal costs for production. Stock holders love that kind of talk. I'd of loved to see a two door model, or a model that is set apart from all other present lines, but it's the bottom line that dictates the products that we are offered. And like I said in another post, the look is growing on me and if the Charger is offered in a SRT-8, I just may consider buying one.

ptschett 01-22-2005 12:15 AM

Ummm.... which Mustang was that?!? :) 64-73 were RWD. Even in the dark days of the Mustang II (74-78) it was RWD. The first Fox platform from 79-86 was RWD, 87-93 were RWD, and of course 94-98 and 99-04 were RWD as is the 05. They did want to sneak the Probe in as a Mustang but when the enthusiast community got wind of it they gave Ford hell.

Hemi RT 01-22-2005 01:12 AM

Maybe I'm wrong but I swear there was a mustang LX in the 80's that was FWD. Am I wrong????

Randy_W 01-22-2005 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Hemi RT

Maybe I'm wrong but I swear there was a mustang LX in the 80's that was FWD. Am I wrong????

Yes!

And for 2 cents worth, the new Charger looks like a discombobulated mass of parts that don't belong on the same car.

TeeWJay426 01-22-2005 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Hemi RT

Even in it's darkest days, the Mustang was ALWAYS a rear-driver. The Probe was supposed to be the Mustang replacement, but when the Ford enthusiasts screamed loud and long, those plans were scrapped and the Mustang continued and the Probe became a seperate line. Some companies apparently DO listen to their enthusiast segments!

nickoman01 01-22-2005 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: TeeWJay426
Some companies apparently DO listen to their enthusiast segments!
yeah, and look what they have to show for it: the ugliest cars in America, losing huge parts of market share fast, and their highest performance car being beat by a car that hasn't been upgraded in years thats half the price.

TeeWJay426 01-23-2005 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

yeah, and look what they have to show for it: the ugliest cars in America, losing huge parts of market share fast, and their highest performance car being beat by a car that hasn't been upgraded in years thats half the price.
And that dumba$$ comment has what to do with anything that's been discussed in this thread??!!