DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Charger (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger-74/)
-   -   I wish Salesman................... (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger/16926-i-wish-salesman.html)

VegasHemi 01-25-2005 10:04 PM

I wish Salesman...................

would learn about the product they are selling. I was at the Dodge dealer this morning to get the recall work done on the Magnum and was asking a group of salesman about the Charger. Questions like, when will it arrive on your lot? Have you heard sticker prices yet? When will the SRT-8 be available? I got answers that would make your head spin! Not one of the salesman had even a clue. They had answers like I think we'll be getting the Charger around next November to January of next year. I got looks from these guys like deers eyes in the headlights! They had no clue about the SRT-8 even in the Magnum.

Maybe it's just my old school way of thinking, but selling any product, I'd like to be able to answer any question that was thrown at me and know my product thoroughly to be able to answer on an intelligent manner. BTW, this problem isn't limited to just Dodge, but most new car dealers are in the same boat.

Done ranting now, carry-on!

Dodgegirl19 01-25-2005 10:05 PM

RE: I wish Salesman...................

You forgot the appropriate smiley... LOL!

[sm=rant.gif]

But I know EXACTLY what you are talking about... it's a pain in the ass!

~Amanda

Midnight SRT 01-26-2005 07:27 PM

true

nickoman01 01-26-2005 10:19 PM

my friends and i were at a dodge dealer looking at srt4 and a worker came out to see if we needed help, but he said that we probably know more about the srt4 then he does, but if we have any question, he would trying to find answers for us. so instead of BS'in he was honest which was cool.

Hemi RT 01-26-2005 10:37 PM

I was at a Honda dealer once when the "Pilot" first came out. A Machanic walked past and I said..."Excuse me does thins thing have an Isuzu engine in it?" He goes "No it's a honda" I said "I know but isn't the engine an Isuzu's since it is the same as the Rodeo" He said "Lets take a quik look" pops the hood "HUH1 Look at that!" I figured he'd know without looking. I now what you mean though about the salesman. When the Inferno red went out I called and asked if they had a Blaze Red in..the guy said no the color is INFERNO red I said no the new color is BLAZE red. He said well we got 2 red ones in today. I asked hin to go check so he put me on hold an lik 5 mins later came back on ....." ahhhhh ahhhhhhh ahhhhh ahhhhhh ahhhhhh ...hello.....ahh ahh ahh ahhh Yea you're right...Blaze Red...ahhhh ahhh ahhh ahhhh..." I said "ok thanks" All those "ahhh ahhh ahhh'" are the salesman panting from running back to the phone from the lot :):)

ticitme 01-27-2005 10:44 PM

Not trying to start a was but, think about how many different models salespeople have to know about.

If they work at a "standalone" Dodge dealer there's 14 differt models, add Chrysler into the mix and it jumps to 22 including the Sprinter.

Now for each model they have different packages, levels of options, colors, and interiors. Now add in dealer and port installed accessories.
The dealership that I work at has six different lines. It's hard enough to keep up with the current models let alone go looking for new models on the internet. Car manufactures don't let the dealers know about stuff until car are already built. Our reps come in and say stuff like, "there's a new vehicle in the works, but I can't tell you any more then that." But if you go on the web you can find 5 sites dedicated to that particular model. Sorry about the rant, but I know that there are some salespeople out there that do the best that they can with what info the manufacturer will give them.

TeeWJay426 01-28-2005 04:12 PM

Most successful salesmen are BS artists..... talking is their primary product; whatever it is that they happen to be selling is secondary to the art of BS'ing. It's a pretty high turnover 'profession' too..... the dealership where I bought both my Durango in '99 and my Ram in '03 had only one salesmen that was there both times- the rest had all changed. And the guy that sold me my Ram was gone 3 months later. They don't stay in one place long enough to learn the product!

VegasHemi 01-29-2005 01:59 PM

ticitme, I understand your point of view. I realize that today car salesmen move from dealer to dealer and very few of them are well informed about what they are selling. Back in the 'days' when I was younger, my experience with buying cars was a different story. You could go to the same dealer year after year and ask for the salesman who sold you your last car. These guys knew their product line well. They new company information and were up to date with the latest news of the entire industry. I guess my beef with many of todays salesman, they have not taken the time to learn about that which they are selling. I realize it's a job for them, but the 'old school' way of thinking is a job is not just a job but a career. Taking pride in what you are doing seems to be lost among many. I guess after writing this, taking pride in your career is not just limited to 'car salesman.' Unfortunately, this seems to be a growing trend in many aspects of people we all deal with on a daily basis. My goodness, I think I just turned into my Dad!!!! [sm=smiley19.gif]

RcBandit28 01-30-2005 04:13 PM

I work as a "Hydro Engineer" at a stand alone Dodge dealership...In other words I'm the clean up kid. And I know more about our product, the specs, the availability, and new products that are on the way than our sales people do. They routinely come to me, a 21 year old kid, the detail guy, to ask questions about whats in our inventory and the product in general........I agree how can you sell a product that you know NOTHING about????

VegasHemi 01-30-2005 11:57 PM

RcBandit28
I applaud you and your knowledge. Being the best you can be for your employer and the customer is to be commended.

"My goddness, I am my Dad!" YIKES!