Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Problem with My REC Navigation Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Dartman69
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with My REC Navigation Radio

Anybody here ever have a problem with their GPS system not being able to read the DVD?

Recently, whilst using my navigation system on a road trip, I started receiving a message saying that I may have a scratched or damaged navigation disc and to check said disc and reinsert. I removed the DVD and found that it was in perfect condition so I reinserted it. After trying to load for a few seconds, the same message returned on the screen. I tried reinserting the disc several more times, but to no avail.

I've taken this route dozens of times without incident, so I sincerely doubt that I have a bad disc. I figure it must be an issue with the radio itself. Any ideas?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

I read of someone with the same issue, they cleaned it with an alchohol pad and it worked fine after that.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 AM
Midnight Blue
Professional

If this doesn't work, you might actually have a media problem. If you know someone with the REC radio in their Mopar car or truck, borrow their disc and see if it loads. If it doesn't, the problem is probably in the radio head, there are DVD drive cleaning kits but I personally haven't tried one.

If the disc loads, you could possibly make a copy of your friend's DVD. Be sure to use a dual layer writer and good media (Verbatim seems to work for me). Single layer DVD's don't have the capacity. Most computers sold in the past few years have dual layer DVD drives/burners. When I upgrade, I make a copy of the upgrade disc and use the copy in the car. This saves the original as a master in case the copy gets scratched. I got a notice from navteq saying that there should be an update coming out this spring so that is also an ($199) option.

Quick Reply: Problem with My REC Navigation Radio