Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

I need some advice with the 3.5 L charger, problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 AM
THE FLASH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advice with the 3.5 L charger, problems.

long story short, i got a cylendar misfire code the other day and changed the spark plugs. The check engine light went off. I noticed that the car was running better, but seemed to have more power. The check engine light came back on and said bank 1 and bank 2 were running lean. I went back in to make sure everything was tightened down and erased the code. The light has not come back on. Now here is where it gets weird, my wife drove the car to take the kids to school and the traction contol was disengaged (my wife said she kept hitting the button and the light would not go off) and the electronic throttle control light came on as well. I turned the car on and took it for a ride and both lights went off and did not come on. I could even engage and disengage the traction control. Now my wife took the car and the electronic throttle control light came back on. The car seems to run and idle ok (the engine has not died). I read some where that maybe the battery could be going bad? The car is right at 4 years old (2006) and 100K miles. I am afraid to take it to a dealership because I have family members who got ripped off. One family member took their Chrysler to a dealership in florida and they charged them over 1000 bucks to change brake pads and do a throttle body cleaning. Another family member took their grand cherokee to a local georgia dealer and charged them 1500 bucks for a throttle body cleaning and something else. I remember the bill was outregeous for what they did. Does anybody have any suggestions? I did notice that there was some build up on the throttle body blade. Thanks for the help/advice.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 AM
THE FLASH

Now the electronic throttle control light flashes and the traction control light comes on as well. if you turn the car off and then back on, the lights go off. The car runs rough as well.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
THE FLASH

I just drove the car this is what it does:
The car drives and idles normally for about 4 miles. When the ETC light comes on, the car shutters briefly and when placed in park the idle climbs to 1400 rpm and stays there. Also the ESP/TCS light comes on and stays on.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Wow, lots going on here. I'll take some time to review your posts when I take lunch.

Maybe someone else will see something they recognize and will chime in.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Are there any codes?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 AM
THE FLASH

The codes were P0171 and P0174. Thanks again for the help! The problem was exactly what I thought was the problem (I just did not know how to fix it). Behind the intake was a 1/2" metal tube that goes into the intake, the o-ring was destroyed and needed to be replace to make a proper seal, not to mention I had bent the pipe a bit and it would not seat properly. That was where the vaccume leak was coming from. The car is running perfect now. Thanks again for the help!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Oh man, I know exactly what your talking about and those symptoms add up. Good find and resolution!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that tube, it's the EGR. Good find. I had that problem when I changed out my lower intake for a new ported one. I actually used some silicon to fix the seal and put it back together until I get around to buying a new ring. What a pain that was.

Quick Reply: I need some advice with the 3.5 L charger, problems.