Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Steering Wheel Radio Controls ?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
SXTDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Wheel Radio Controls ?

I have a 2009 SXT Chrager 3.5L without steering wheel radio control bottons, will the existing wiring harness accept a factory steering wheel with radio control button (direct replacement) ? Called 3 different dealers got 3 different answers
Dealer 1: No, you have to change the whole steering column
Dealer 2: Yes, cost is $1800 (What ?)
Dealer 3: Not a direct replacment, need an adaptor and a computer re-set.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:47 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Your dabling in some deep dark magic, the short answer is a definite maybe.

A longer answer: Since you don't have Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) you would need a lot of things like the EVIC cluster then the EVIC wheel and connected harness. The EVIC module is part of the Electronic Overhead Module (EOM). The steering column module (SCM) is different. There is probably a lot more to this than meets the eye...

A price of 1,800.00 may be right on the money if you can self justify the cash outlay?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:19 AM
SXTDodge

Thanks for the reply, did not think Dodge made each Charger model differently when it comes to the wiring harness behind the steering wheel. Just an FYI on my previous '07 Impala, it was a direct replacement.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:41 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Unfortunately their all different in that some models may be "plug-n-play" and some are not even close. You happened to be lucky the 07 Chevy was "plug-n-play".

Your question isn’t an easy and will take either someone that has been trained/certified to work on the LX line of cars or someone that has ventured there and done it. As you can tell I'm neither

Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 PM
SXTDodge

I suppose in that case, there is one way to be sure, I'll be tackling the removal of the existing steering wheel as soon as work schedule permits, I hope they won't charge me an arm and a leg for a re-stocking fee on the new radio control mounted steering wheel (I better check first if it can be returned).

Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 PM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Good luck and be careful, I don't want to hear about airbag burns

Old 03-04-2010, 08:56 PM
SXTDodge

Good point, thanks, when I switch the Impala steering, I had the battery disconnected and did not touch the air bag, battery terminals were connected after the swap is completed. It's really a 10 minute job once you have the steering wheel removal tool.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:48 AM
SXTDodge

Can anyone help with a part number for the steering wheel with radio control buttons on it ? I am very frustrated with the parts dept at Dodge, they said, there is over 20 different part numbers and the only way they can figure out which one, is for me to get them a VIN number of a car that has the desired steering wheel. This does not make any sense to me at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Radio Controls ?