Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Check engine light .

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 11:06 AM
Super Bee guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Check engine light .

I need a little help for my 2008 super Bee charger with 6.1 motor. My check engine light just recently came on and i had it read. It came back with a misfire in cylinder #5. This car is not a daily driver. it only had 55,000 miles on it., Once winter gets to this part of the world it goes in the garage and comes out every so often to charge the battery, and get warmed up. I recently went to pull it out to get it cleaned up as we were expecting good weather for a couple weeks. It ran kinda rough, but nothing to bad, After it warmed up is smoothed right out. Shut it off it got parked again for 2 days, then when i started it the light came on and it ran like crap. Then when it warmed up it got better. Had it read code that came back was p305. Im gonna swap the plugs and coil with another cylinder to see it it changes the code. If so ill replace the plugs ,and coil. If that doesn't do it what other problem should i look for? These ate the original plugs and coils from the factory if that makes a difference. Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Are those still the original plugs? Might not hurt to change 'em.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:36 AM
Super Bee guy

Yep original plugs from the factory

Old 04-04-2021, 11:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If they are copper plugs, (and I think they are....) it is long past time for them to be changed.

The following users liked this post:
Super Bee guy (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:59 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Bee guy
I need a little help for my 2008 super Bee charger with 6.1 motor. My check engine light just recently came on and i had it read. It came back with a misfire in cylinder #5. This car is not a daily driver. it only had 55,000 miles on it., Once winter gets to this part of the world it goes in the garage and comes out every so often to charge the battery, and get warmed up. I recently went to pull it out to get it cleaned up as we were expecting good weather for a couple weeks. It ran kinda rough, but nothing to bad, After it warmed up is smoothed right out. Shut it off it got parked again for 2 days, then when i started it the light came on and it ran like crap. Then when it warmed up it got better. Had it read code that came back was p305. Im gonna swap the plugs and coil with another cylinder to see it it changes the code. If so ill replace the plugs ,and coil. If that doesn't do it what other problem should i look for? These ate the original plugs and coils from the factory if that makes a difference. Thanks for any advice.

Probably a bad plug. I'd swap them out before they fuse to the head. Get them gaped right and replaced before you do anything else. When racing, you only change one thing at a time. Change 5 things and you run better, which thing was it that helped? As it is, you may just need a mild tune up. Check your air filter while you're at it. Also the tail pipe to make sure you don't have a mouse nest in the tail pipe.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:32 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

Start with plugs. If that doesn't fix it, swap coils with another cylinder, clear the fault and see if that does it. If not, then it's time to dig deeper.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:33 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

Your original plugs should have this number on them: SPLZTR5A13

Old 04-04-2021, 04:47 PM
Super Bee guy

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. Replaced 16 plugs. they were worn pretty bad, and almost stuck in the head. Had to use breaker bar to get them loose. The factory plugs look like a platinum type. swapped the # 3 and # 5 coils. Had it read and cleared. After a few min of running the light came back on indicated # 3 this time. So changed out the coil that took care of the problem. Lucky its not s daily driver ,Thats why i never thought of the plugs, Thanks again you guys saved me a big headache.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's what we are here for. Glad we could help.

Quick Reply: Check engine light .