Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Dodge Charger keeps shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM
dodgedvl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea if you got your problem fixed with your Charger,but i was having the same issue with my 06 r/t and it is the PCM. you need to get it replaced and you'll be good to go, thats what i had to do to mine..

Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Scottdrinkh20

My 2006 dodge charger was also shutting off randomly. I also took it to the dealership after reading this forum. The dealership wanted to replace all sorts of crap and the warranty I had wouldn't cover it because they didn't know if it would fix the problem. So that being said, I read up on the PCM myself. The error code they got was lost connection to the PCM. I you tubed how to remove the computer. I used a half inch socket and a flat head screwdriver to get it out. After removing the connectors I inspected them and all the connections looked fine but had come a little loose from the computer itself. So I used a zip tie to strap the connection (orange with power feed) to the computer. This solved the problem and took me 10 minutes. : ).. Hope that helps others too. Just a poor design by dodge.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:27 AM
WillMurray
Default Change key batter!

The FIRST thing you should try is replacing the battery in your key!

My buddy had the same exact symptoms in his 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with roughly 80,000 miles.

It would randomly shut off and then instantly turn back on by itself.

No error codes with the self diagnoses.

After some research and deductive reasoning stemming from him noticing the key remote was very weak lately, he swapped the battery on his key. This fixed the issue, now at 95,000 miles it has not done it anymore!

The issue is caused by the weak battery fails to send a signal to the electronic ignition and the car suddenly thinks a false key or non-fobbed key is in the ignition. Then it suddenly "sees" the key again causing engine to immediately re-fire. Remember, electricity is super fast, so the killed signal due to weak battery then sudden signal is almost instantaneous. It's enough to cause the engine to shut off and then back on seemingly randomly and as if it has a mind of its own.

If this doesn't fix it, you're only out $5.

Last edited by WillMurray; 04-19-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:08 PM
CarlosM
Default 06 Dodge Charger RT

I reviewed all the answers for stalling of 06 chargers and no one indicated changing the fuel filter. When i drive my car while it is low on gas it will stall and i have to drive for a while (After gassing up) to work the problem out. I do believe trash in the gas lines may be the problem. I believe replacing the fuel filter 1st would be the way to go. May be the cheapest route for starters.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:16 AM
WillMurray
Default most likely PCM. Check fob battery and car batt terminals first

Originally Posted by CarlosM
I reviewed all the answers for stalling of 06 chargers and no one indicated changing the fuel filter. When i drive my car while it is low on gas it will stall and i have to drive for a while (After gassing up)* to work the problem out. I do believe trash in the gas lines may be the problem. I believe replacing the fuel filter 1st would be the way to go. May be the cheapest route for starters.
Noooooo.. you obviously didn't read or don't understand the details of this common issue. This isn't an engine running rough or sputtering off and on. This is when the car behaves perfectly normal, then out of nowhere shuts off completely and restarts itself completely all in the same half second, regardless of fuel level.It will literally shut off and come back on before you even have time to respond or do anything. It is instantaneous.*When it is back on it runs 100% flawlessly until a sudden and instant shut off / restart occurs.Your fuel filter suggestion is not very strong considering the age at which many Chargers are experiencing this issue. Many have seen this problem with less than 50k miles, and as we all know most cars do not need new fuel filters until 100k mi or more. My friend removed the fuel filter in his Charger at 95k miles and it was just as easy to blow through as the new one. Where do you fill up? If your car runs rough at low fuel levels you're buying garbage gas from garbage station. That is an issue specific to you not the masses.This issue is SPECIFIC to Dodge Chargers and is not something that would be caused by a general part such as a fuel filter.Its clearly an issue with the PCM being as almost 90% of people require a new one.*Also read the earlier posts about the key fob battery.$1.99 for a key battery is the CHEAPEST possible and likely issue, and was the issue for my friend and many lucky others. Besides fuel filters are $30-$50, and dealers want over $100 to swap them out. A $1.99 key battery ANYONE can do themselves is a much simplier STARTING point.However I've since done more research on this and the most COMMON fix is the PCM being bad and needing to be swapped out. This should only be done if the dealer diagnosis system is able to see the data records of the cars computer. Many Chargers will show numerous and repetitive data logs telling of a PCM issue such as "PCM signal loss" over and over. If you keep a record of when these shut down and start ups occur, then compare it to the time stamp of the data logs you will likely see the problem is happening every time the PCM loses its connection to the main computer.Some people have been lucky and simply found a loose connection on the PCM and simoly pressed the connector back on tight and continued on problem free. However most have had to replace the PCM which is around $400 plus $150 for installation and flash from dealer, after $85 diagnosis fee of course.One last thing that is perhaps the most economical and least time consuming is to check the battery terminals. This of course is free, and is similar to having a dead key fob battery. A loose battery terminal connection can cause seemingly random issues due to momentary power loss, just like a dead key fob. Computer has no voltage for a split second and shuts car off then instantly voltage is restored due to vibration etc and engine refires. Not likely but worth checking.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Tregin49

Would your car temporarily turn off on a freeway? I have taken it to the dealership and they say they can't find anything wrong.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 AM
uaedurango
Amateur
Default 2006 Charger R/T 5.7 - 5.7 Engine Replacement

Hi,

I have a 2006 Charger R/T 5.7 with 220,000 miles. The engine got damaged (bearings, connecting rod), and is not worth re-building. So I am looking for a swap with a suitable engine. Can anyone advise on what years of 5.7 will work on the 2006 including the interface with the PCM?

Specifically will a 2011 5.7 work, and/or what modifications are required?

Regards,

Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 AM
advergents

Originally Posted by Craig Busby
Been there and done that. When local Dealer hooked up the data recorder to my charger, they were not able to define the poblem. I will tell you why our cars do this. What is occuring and how to solve the problem.

1. The car will shut itself off with no indication. ( this only occurred when I was driving in the rain.) I thought maybe the wipers are causing a short? Not the problem. Hmm I thought.. So the dealer and I spent weeks trying to trouble shoot the car. Nothing seemed to work. Until one day it doned on me, that the problem. The ignition stops recognizing the key. So it shuts the car down, no matter where your at, rush hour traffic, mall, wherever. In order to fix this the car will need a new harness for the ignition. Problem solved. It will cost you a few hundred bucks, but you will never have that problem again.
I had the shut off prob. After reading your post I remember my key fob (that hasn't worked in 2 years) busted open just before my problems. I was trying to crank it w/o putting the circuit board back in. Read this, put it back in, & magically it cranks again! I don't get it, as I don't see where the circuit board connects with the key & there is not even a battery in it. But whatever! That was the prob!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:32 AM
Scottdrinkh20

Originally Posted by dodgedvl
I have no idea if you got your problem fixed with your Charger,but i was having the same issue with my 06 r/t and it is the PCM. you need to get it replaced and you'll be good to go, thats what i had to do to mine..
I did bring my charger into a dealership willing to listen to what I would say about the problem, not just listen to what their tech tips say to them on the computers. And when I got the PCM replaced.. Problem solved. Been runnin smooth for months now.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:16 AM
evocman

I also have a 2006 Dodge Charger hemi Police package with a 19 gallon fuel tank
it is experiencing the same problem, NHTSA had investigated the problem with the fuel tank and agreed to drop the investigation if Chrysler would extend the warranty on the fuel tank which has a faulty valve molded into it, Chrysler agreed on 2/14/14. However I have talked to two different dealers and neither of them are familiar with the agreement between NHTSA, and Chrysler This agreement covers 153,817 vehicles that include all Chrysler 300's, Dodge Chargers, and Magnums equipped with either the 5.7 or 6.1 hemi., The 19 gallon fuel tank manufactured by Stant, is the problem, it has a multifunction valve shutoff float integrated into the 19 gallon fuel tank it can swell in a stuck open position allowing a overfill condition, that causes fuel to enter the purge line which stalls the engine, Good Luck in finding a dealer who will address the problem for anyone having this problem, it should be covered free under this agreement.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Charger keeps shutting off