DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Charger (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger-74/)
-   -   Cyl 5 Misfire. P0305. Help! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger/342652-cyl-5-misfire-p0305-help.html)

californian1 11-26-2012 02:17 AM

Cyl 5 Misfire. P0305. Help!

Hi all, first off. I have a 2009 Dodge Charger (SE, 3.5L)

It's been probably a month now since this headache has started.

First sign was slight diff in idle. Husband said I was imagining it. Check engine light came on soon after I told him. Code is P0305, cylinder 5 misfire.

I really cannot afford to simply take it to the shop and have them mess with this esp if it's not something that takes one shot to fix.

We've done a tune up, (new spark plugs, etc).
EGR Valve as I was convinced that would work, (my symptoms match bad EGR valve to a T!)
Cleaned throttle body
switched coils 5 & 6

all to no avail. I really just want it fixed. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Can't keep guessing and spending $ thinking it will be fixed. Not only this, but husband really can't just keeping taking the car apart, and he HATES messing with it.

Please help! Any car guru that can help.
(SN, no warranty as I'm the second owner..)

californian1 11-27-2012 11:59 PM

Well in case this could help anyone.

After the last attempt (EGR valve), finally got husband to check compression. Rented a tester and all were 165-170 MINUS #5 (the one the misfire is on). That one is only 65! Friend who is a mech. at Dodge walked husband through what to check out after that. Come down to it, the rocker arm shaft (I think that's it) is broken. There's a gap and it's preventing it from moving correctly. So apparently that's the problem for the noise. There's a video on youtube, sounds similar to my vehicle as well.

Will update..

steak59 11-28-2012 01:00 PM

If you guys are replacing the Rocker Shaft, make sure BEFORE you put everything back on the car, Run the Compression test AGAIN.
just speaking from experience, most of the time the Rocker shaft noise is a separate problem from Low Compression. Sorry if I upset you.

californian1 11-29-2012 11:28 AM

No no, you didn't upset me. Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to tell my husband this. I'm afraid after all this, there's still something wrong. We'll be receiving the rocker shaft next week. Our friend who's been walking my husband through this and advising him, said the rocker shaft could be affecting the misfire because the valve is sitting wrong due to the rocker shaft.

96stroker 12-18-2012 01:10 PM

Wondering if this problem has been resolved? I have the exact same symptoms on my 08 Charger and have done the plugs, EGR valve, fuel injectors, etc and still have the P0305 code and half the compression on cylinder #5. I aldo have the loud ticking from that side of the motor so I'm thinking of replacing the rocker assemblies now before going all out on a new motor. Thanks

steak59 12-18-2012 11:49 PM

a bad rocker usually don't cause 50% lost in compression. All you need to do is a leak down test. Most likely you have bad valve, guide, or seat.
It is better to just send the Cylinder head to a machine shop than replace the motor.

96stroker 12-26-2012 11:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, great news, the rocker fixed it! I attached a couple pics for you showing how the rockers had chewed into the aluminum in front of it and got almost locked into place thus not closing the valves on cylinder # 5. I swapped out the part and the car runs great now. Easy job too.

californian1 01-27-2013 12:06 AM

Update all.. Had the head taken to the machine shop. There was a knick in the head? And cylinder 5 valve guide was bent. So with a new rocker assembly and head all fixed I hope to not have any problems again! 1200$ later it's fixed.

Shabazz 12-31-2018 02:07 AM

Good price

I was quoted 2400 to have this fix done in La. where did you get yours done

dodgers2013 05-18-2023 12:55 PM

See 5

See cylinder 5. This is the right one, if you open the hood and look, the block is closer to the glass. I had a gasket problem. After repair, put a soft rubber gasket from China. She is not reliable. And when you put the gasket, you have to be careful and attentive. Attaching photo. Problem p0305 solved. Replace gasket.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...935e42b0f.jpeg
See 5