Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Thoughts on hub centric wheel spacers??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 PM
James Tapley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thoughts on hub centric wheel spacers??

Title says it all. Was thinking about installing a set of hub centric wheel spacers on my 2011,Dodge Charger.
I like my stock wheels and don't wanna have to shell out more $$$$ for wheels if I don't have to.
Was thinking that 2" spacers would allow me enough room to turn my car and not rub.
What do y'all think? What is the best place to order wheel spacers ? Any suggestion ?
Thanks.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I've had nothing but bad luck running spacers. Broken wheel studs, premature suspension component wear, etc.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:29 PM
Tamara Stoneham

I ordered mine from hex auto parts. https://www.hexautoparts.com/wheel-spacers-and-adapters
Got them in prompt , installed them no problem , great price, very satisfied.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:43 PM
James Tapley

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I've had nothing but bad luck running spacers. Broken wheel studs, premature suspension component wear, etc.
Sorry to hear that .So wheel spacers are dangerous ? But I read many article like this http://hexautoparts.blogspot.hk/2017...v-or-cars.html stated they are perfectly safe if installed properly.
May I ask those wheel spacers fit your car well and have you tightened the lug nuts ?

Old 11-16-2017, 08:51 PM
James Tapley
Default hex auto parts

Originally Posted by Tamara Stoneham
I ordered mine from hex auto parts. https://www.hexautoparts.com/wheel-spacers-and-adapters
Got them in prompt , installed them no problem , great price, very satisfied.
Really ? Are they safe ? Can they cause vibrations ?

Old 11-17-2017, 11:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by James Tapley
Sorry to hear that .So wheel spacers are dangerous ? But I read many article like this http://hexautoparts.blogspot.hk/2017...v-or-cars.html stated they are perfectly safe if installed properly.
May I ask those wheel spacers fit your car well and have you tightened the lug nuts ?
Right. An article published by a company that makes wheel spacers......

Lots of flaws in their logic as well. In their 'example', the customer felt a heavy vibration, which prompted him to pull over. The company then tries to blame the vibration on wheel balance, or improperly installed spacers.... even though there is no evidence of any vibration before it prompted him to pull over, and he flatly stated how the spacers were installed. (which was indeed correct.)

Spacers, by their very nature, change side-loading on hubs/bearings/axles. They give the wheel a longer lever-arm to exert force on various components. Forces the bearings and such WERE NOT designed for. Even in BEST case scenarios, you are going to see accelerating bearing/component wear, in worst case, you will see component failure. The lug studs that hold the wheel to the spacer, or the spacer to the hub, are simply introducing another layer of potential failure. Not a good idea. I have seen (personally) WAY too many trashed cars because of wheel spacers. I will not install the, will not recommend them, and if a customer car has them on, I won't reinstall them. I tell customers as soon as I see them, that I won't touch them, except to remove them, and leave them off. Has that policy lost me some easy brake work? Yup. Did I ever get sued when someones wheel spacer failed? Nope. A fair few shops around here have been.

I am out of the business now, (and have been, for quite some time.) but, my take on wheel spacers hasn't changed.