Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

'18 Charger Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:37 PM
willyd5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '18 Charger Hood Scoop

18 Charger RT w Super track pack, which gives you a "functional" Hood scoop. What do they mean by functional ? It is open, but airbox is closed, unlike our Shaker Challenger. And wondering where the water will go in a rain storm? Thanks

Old 03-22-2018, 08:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

The ducting brings in fresh air from the scoop. The ducting also prevents water from getting into the intake.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:54 AM
willyd5
Default 18 Charger hood scoop

Thanks for the quick reply. There simply is no ducting which is why I'm curious as to the functional part. There is the hood scoop, which is open, and that's it ! Maybe they forgot some parts ? lol. It would seem to me that the incoming rain water would blow back to the firewall then down. Just doesn't seem right. Thanks again. Bill

Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

My bad, you are correct. They are more like vents for the engine compartment, not going to the intake. I assume they dont mind the engine getting wet.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:25 AM
willyd5

Yes I'm not liking this setup. Now if they had a rain sensing closing flap..lol. Yeah my concern is the hood pad, and other stuff getting wet. Might explain the HUGE engine cover. Seems Dodge should have done better.
Other than that it's a proper looking and sounding muscle car. After 5 Challengers, the 4 door is a nice relief.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:48 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Won't hurt anything. Most of the SRT cars came with that scoop; it was for looks and to funnel cool air underhood. Even the hellcat cars its designed to funnel air in to help cool under the hood (along with extractors). Only the Demon has a functional hood scoop that feeds the engine. I guess technically the shaker challengers do, as there is a duct to feed air down to the factory airbox but that's about it.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:15 PM
willyd5

Hey thanks for your info. Yes our Challenger Shaker has a sort of direct air intake. I was unaware that these SRT style hoods were for cooling. Much obliged, thanks.Bill.

Quick Reply: '18 Charger Hood Scoop