Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

2006 Charger R/T - Won't engage in Drive or reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Ryan Hull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Charger R/T - Won't engage in Drive or reverse

I have a 2006 Charger R/T with the NAG1.
(Yes, fluid level is full. I bought a dipstick.)
No service history, so I have no idea when last transmission service was performed.
************************************************** ************************************************** ********

2 days ago I drove it over 90 miles on the highway. It started out OK, then didn't want to shift into a higher gear past 3rd.
It was odd, because the Engine RPM's sounded like they were being retarded by something, and would not go over 3k RPM.

I pulled it over, turned it off, and then back on again. Drove like a charm the rest of the trip with no issues.

Next day, get 100 yards from my house, and it wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear, with the same RPM limiting. I stopped, and restarted the car again. Upon restart, it will no longer engage in Drive or reverse.

Interesting about this is the following:
When you place it in Drive or Reverse, you can hear a slight RPM drop like it's about to shift into the gear, but it isn't actually quite making it there.
If you press the gas, the RPM's are again rev-limited to <3000 RPM.

Connecting to a good scanner, shows no codes for engine or tranny. Even tried clearing any stored codes from every module in the car.
No luck there.

Checking the live data feed from the scanner.
When the car is in Park/Neutral, the Torque Convertor TCC Duty Cycle % jumps from 0% to 99% constantly.

When the car is in Drive, the Target gear shows Drive, and the Actual gear shows Neutral.
TCC Duty cycle does not change from what it's doing in Park/Neutral.
Also, Limp-Mode is NOT set.
Transmission protection IS SET.

I don't know what else to try. Anyone have any suggestions

Quick Reply: 2006 Charger R/T - Won't engage in Drive or reverse