Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Charger won’t go past 120

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 01:35 AM
18ChargerSXT+
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger won’t go past 120

I got my SXT Plus a little over a month ago. Yesterday I went to visit my friend who’s 3 hours away in south Florida. There were a few stretches of open road where I decided to step on it and see what my baby could do. I noticed once I got to 120 it wouldn’t go any faster. Speedometer shows 140 as the top speed so I was confused why it wouldn’t go past 120. Is there a limiter or something set so it won’t go past this speed?

Its amazing to me how smooth this car drives and how comfortable it is. Even going 120, which is normally considered fast (not Hellcat or Demon fast), it didn’t feel like I was going that fast. The car just cruises along so nicely. Of course when I would step on it and the RPMs would rise I would feel it jerk me back in my seat and the engine would scream (love it), but when cruising above 100, it would just ride so smoothly.

Im in total love with this car. I truly feel like I have so much power under my control. And yes, I know this is only 300 horsepower, nothing compared to a Hellcat, but coming from a Celica GTS 1.4L 4cyl @ 180 HP, this is a huge improvement.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:46 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LMAO...just because the speedo says 140, that doesn't mean that's how fast it will go lol. Where the hell you get that idea lol? Do you still have t he stock tires? Check the speed rating on them, you'll most likely find that the car is speed governed because of those. Even if they aren't the original or oem spec tires the speed governor would still be in place unless someone went in and changed it.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:22 AM
18ChargerSXT+

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
LMAO...just because the speedo says 140, that doesn't mean that's how fast it will go lol. Where the hell you get that idea lol? Do you still have t he stock tires? Check the speed rating on them, you'll most likely find that the car is speed governed because of those. Even if they aren't the original or oem spec tires the speed governor would still be in place unless someone went in and changed it.
i nevwe really thought about it that way. I always figured if a car’s speedometer had a max speed of let’s say 140 Like the Charger, then it could reach that speed. I have the stock tires and they’re V rated. Based on a V rating, they can withstand a max speed of 150.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

You would need a tuner to disable the speed limiter if you want to be "that guy" who endangers everyone around them for a cheap thrill.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:26 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speed Limiter in Computer.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 AM
18ChargerSXT+

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You would need a tuner to disable the speed limiter if you want to be "that guy" who endangers everyone around them for a cheap thrill.
Thanks for letting me know what I would need to disable the speed limiter but this not what I want to do. I just wanted to find out why my Charger wasn’t going past 120. Didn’t know if there was something wrong with my car or not. Thanks anyway.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:44 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Because you NEVER have...

Old 06-12-2018, 01:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Not on a public road. Track, yes.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned