DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Charger (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger-74/)
-   -   Swapping a 5.7 intake manifold for a 6.1 (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger/421946-swapping-a-5-7-intake-manifold-for-a-6-1-a.html)

RHPugh 03-11-2019 05:49 AM

Swapping a 5.7 intake manifold for a 6.1

Hello everyone!

I have a 2006 5.7L Charger R/T, im looking to swap the intake manifold for a stock 6.1L (I would swap for a 6.4 but I believe it's only possible for 2009+). I've done some research already, but i'd like to get some some feedback on my specific situation.

I'm also planning to swap my 5.7 throttle body and CAI for 6.1 models. I have several questions so i'll make them brief;

1. First off, how would installing a 6.1L intake on a 2006 5.7L work?? Is it just a bolt on or do I need additional parts? (like fuel rails, map sensor, etc.). Please be specific!

2. Would I be able to install a high performance (95mm - 103mm) throttle body to a stock 6.1 intake?

3. Would I need to get it tuned afterward to drive properly? (not just to operate with the most performance)

4. Is it possible afterall to get the 6.4L intake manifold??? If so, what additional parts do I need!

Suggestions/links to parts would be highly appreciated!
Any tips on the coming swap would also be well received!

Thanks!

apegues2 04-19-2019 12:07 PM

Hello RH, I Too have a 2006 Daytona, putting a 6.1 manifold and large bore T.B will actually decrease your horsepower. Here's why... First the R/T's have the intake tuned, that means the velocity and volume of airflow are all matched, your cylinder head will only flow so much air based on the Cam, Valves, T.B, Manifold etc... by putting a Manifold and T.B meant for a larger engine(which flows more air) you will decrease the velocity of the airflow thus the volume too. Heres what I did and why, Firstly, early 5.7's have a weak valve spring/Head design(head p/n:53021616BA) In 2009 this problem was solved with the 53021616DD heads, which by the way Flow way more air via much larger intake ports anyway I bought a used pair off of Ebay for $230.00 in beautiful condition, got the matching intake w/T.B and New Pushrods (1/2" longer) (Dealer $17.00)plus a gasket kit with bolts (FelPro) and did the job in a weekend (very easy compared to others I've done) then found out the hard way that to keep that air flowing through the heads I needed the '09 exhaust manifolds (Ebay $60, Bolt right on) NOW I have GOBS of horsepower, BUT... There is one thing left....PROGRAMMING, since I already had a FlashPak Programmer for my Daytona, I called them told them what I did and they updated my programmer for $100...easy peasy. I've been involved in piece meal horsepower upgrades in the past and they were difficult to get them right with oddball aftermarket parts usually bolt on Snake Oil. This is what I did and it works GREAT except now my wife drives it everyday and I only get temporary custody on the weekends

Magnoom 04-26-2019 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by RHPugh (Post 3431884)
Hello everyone!

I have a 2006 5.7L Charger R/T, im looking to swap the intake manifold for a stock 6.1L (I would swap for a 6.4 but I believe it's only possible for 2009+). I've done some research already, but i'd like to get some some feedback on my specific situation.

I'm also planning to swap my 5.7 throttle body and CAI for 6.1 models. I have several questions so i'll make them brief;

1. First off, how would installing a 6.1L intake on a 2006 5.7L work?? Is it just a bolt on or do I need additional parts? (like fuel rails, map sensor, etc.). Please be specific!

2. Would I be able to install a high performance (95mm - 103mm) throttle body to a stock 6.1 intake?

3. Would I need to get it tuned afterward to drive properly? (not just to operate with the most performance)

4. Is it possible afterall to get the 6.4L intake manifold??? If so, what additional parts do I need!

Suggestions/links to parts would be highly appreciated!
Any tips on the coming swap would also be well received!

Thanks!

Couple points:

1. Not a bolt on, and he said below would be a waste of time due to capabilities of the manifold over the cylinder heads, port mismatch
2. Factory 5.7 and 6.1 throttle body are identical, performance TB's start at 85mm and go from there. Something that large wouldn't fit without modifications.
Bolting on the manifold by itself is useless. If you put in a high performance cam and the heads worked (bigger valves, reworked ports) then the swap would be worth it, Same with the active 6.4 intake, though on top of that you'd have to wire in an rpm switch to activate the runners.

Originally Posted by apegues2 (Post 3436217)
Hello RH, I Too have a 2006 Daytona, putting a 6.1 manifold and large bore T.B will actually decrease your horsepower. Here's why... First the R/T's have the intake tuned, that means the velocity and volume of airflow are all matched, your cylinder head will only flow so much air based on the Cam, Valves, T.B, Manifold etc... by putting a Manifold and T.B meant for a larger engine(which flows more air) you will decrease the velocity of the airflow thus the volume too. Heres what I did and why, Firstly, early 5.7's have a weak valve spring/Head design(head p/n:53021616BA) In 2009 this problem was solved with the 53021616DD heads, which by the way Flow way more air via much larger intake ports anyway I bought a used pair off of Ebay for $230.00 in beautiful condition, got the matching intake w/T.B and New Pushrods (1/2" longer) (Dealer $17.00)plus a gasket kit with bolts (FelPro) and did the job in a weekend (very easy compared to others I've done) then found out the hard way that to keep that air flowing through the heads I needed the '09 exhaust manifolds (Ebay $60, Bolt right on) NOW I have GOBS of horsepower, BUT... There is one thing left....PROGRAMMING, since I already had a FlashPak Programmer for my Daytona, I called them told them what I did and they updated my programmer for $100...easy peasy. I've been involved in piece meal horsepower upgrades in the past and they were difficult to get them right with oddball aftermarket parts usually bolt on Snake Oil. This is what I did and it works GREAT except now my wife drives it everyday and I only get temporary custody on the weekends

Firstly, to set the record straight, 03-early 04 5.7 heads had some spring issues. Up through 06 the issue was the valve seat popping out when overheated. 2009 didn't bring fixes to the heads, it was a redesigned all new cylinder head (the eagle head), larger valves and ports, similar to the 6.1 but with taller valves. Few questions:
1. You went through the whole process of bolting on eagle heads and intake and kept your stock cam?
2. How did you get an eagle intake to seat/seal properly without the intake manifold spacers?
3. Flashpaq is Superchips, Superchips doesn't do custom tuning.

apegues2 04-27-2019 05:25 PM

Answering Magnoom’s questions

Magnoom, I’m not sure what you are trying to set straight, you basically said what I did but with a touch more detail, the valve spring/valve seat issues are well known, anyway, to answer your questions:
1.)Yes, putting heads on this car is super easy compared to what I’m used to (40 years of working on MBZ, BMW and Volvo) since #1 seat came loose and with the spring issues I decided to just bolt on the ‘09 heads and matching “09 manifold. Putting a new cam in is more work than I wanted to do especially since it’s my wife’s daily driver.
2.) Spacers?? ‘09 heads, ‘09 Manifold.....Bolts right up...I Know, I did it. Easy.
3.) you’re quite right, they don’t and I did not say I got a custom program... I called and told them what I did and they uploaded the program for an ‘09 Daytona and it works, they had to make sure my programmer which is specifically for the ‘06 Daytona would accept the ‘09 programming that’s all.

Magnoom 04-27-2019 05:41 PM

Apegues is a troll lol

Originally Posted by apegues2 (Post 3437176)
Magnoom, I’m not sure what you are trying to set straight, you basically said what I did but with a touch more detail, the valve spring/valve seat issues are well known, anyway, to answer your questions:
1.)Yes, putting heads on this car is super easy compared to what I’m used to (40 years of working on MBZ, BMW and Volvo) since #1 seat came loose and with the spring issues I decided to just bolt on the ‘09 heads and matching “09 manifold. Putting a new cam in is more work than I wanted to do especially since it’s my wife’s daily driver.
2.) Spacers?? ‘09 heads, ‘09 Manifold.....Bolts right up...I Know, I did it. Easy.
3.) you’re quite right, they don’t and I did not say I got a custom program... I called and told them what I did and they uploaded the program for an ‘09 Daytona and it works, they had to make sure my programmer which is specifically for the ‘06 Daytona would accept the ‘09 programming that’s all.

No, I did not

1) You swapped heads and thought putting a cam in would be more work LMAO
2) Yes, spacers. 09 heads, 09 manifold but 06 front timing cover. Unless you ground down the water temp sensor on the front timing cover or modified the intake manifold...? This is a WELL documented interference. I'm willing to bet money you didn't use an eagle intake because only a pre-eagle or 6.1 intake manifold would have cleared the temp sensor boss without either using spacers or modifying the manifold.
3) Which would be a custom tune, since you attempted to put a non 06 tune into an 06 PCM

And I just realized I've seen you somewhere before, you had this same basic conversation with someone elsewhere. Is that what you do, hit and run forums with misinformation and ghost when someone proves you wrong or calls you out lol?
https://www.dodge talk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6360895

apegues2 04-27-2019 05:57 PM

You can’t argue with success

Magnoom, No Trolling, No Hit and run
Im in inviting you here to my house in Dallas to see first hand what I did and you can drive it too. I have an extra room for you to stay and I promise to be a good host. I did this job 2 years ago and it runs flawlessly. So to stop any potential pissing contest between us, come on out and check it out.