DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Charger (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger-74/)
-   -   Tire pressure sensor (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger/65195-tire-pressure-sensor.html)

74scamp 07-11-2006 11:33 AM

Tire pressure sensor

Anyone heard anything about a way to turn this off? If I have the recommended air pressure in my tires, after a few minutes on the freeway, the pressure builds (of course) and that idiot light comes on. The dealer said to lower the pressure - that seems to work in this altitude. I have my tires at about 28 lbs cold, now. Would like to take them up to the recommended pressure.

dave

MangoInTX 07-11-2006 11:47 AM

RE: Tire pressure sensor

I don't think theres a way to disable the tire pressure sensor. Damn cars are too smart!

silvercoupe97 07-11-2006 12:09 PM

I would think that the sensor is correct. I've always been taught to only fill or remove air from the tires if they are warmed up. So IMO, if the gauge reads higher than what they are programmed for when the tires are warmed up...then there's too much pressure in them. Just my .02 though.

74scamp 07-11-2006 12:42 PM

You guys are probably both right. They just look kind of soft to me when "cold" (not that it's that COLD now :)). Guess I'll just start putting a little bit back in until the little idiot light comes on, the back it off a "quarter turn" :D

dave

baldyloxs 07-11-2006 02:06 PM

Yep gotta have that qtr turn Dave its the trick

74scamp 07-11-2006 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: baldyloxs

Yep gotta have that qtr turn Dave its the trick

I knew I could count on you, Marty :D.

dave

Midnight Blue 07-24-2006 12:34 AM

I've always been told (and believe) that you adjust the tire pressures cold. Because of the variances in tire pressures as the tires warm up, you may end up with underinflated tires when they cool down again. Not a good thing. If you look at the manufacturer's specs, they all specifiy cold pressures. I let mine set overnight and check them first thing in the morning (actually my kid does as part of Dad's driver's ed).

You might want to try another tire guage. I found one of mine to be reading low.

Redbeard

silvercoupe97 07-24-2006 12:50 AM

That's true, but on the other side of that, your tire pressure will be higher than what it was inflated/deflated to when the air inside warms up. Then again, I haven't had stock tires in a long time, so I can't as well go by the book on them:D
How much do tires pressurize up to from cold to hot and vice versa anyway? Depending on what tire you have/get, isn't it something like 3-5psi more or less?
My Hankooks look the same cold or hot, but they are a little tougher than the Eagles that my car came with which always looked low on tire pressure.

74scamp 07-24-2006 01:25 AM

I have been having driveability problems with my R/T. Turns out, my tires were toed in - a lot. That could result in excessive heat build up, hence the tire pressure light coming on. I'll find out more in a few days about that.

dave

baldyloxs 07-24-2006 01:49 AM

Hey dave,
I think maybe you can relocate the sensor or possibly get a different one.I have read about guys when they are getting 20's and 22" either moving thm or something about new ones.
Maybe you could trust your dealer on this one , call the tire barn or local shop could help you out?
Marty