DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Charger (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger-74/)
-   -   hood idea (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-charger/68915-hood-idea.html)

topbanna3767 08-09-2006 08:18 AM

hood idea

hi there everyone im in fabulous las vegas and im feeling home sick for the charger the mini van im driving is killing me (although the ac is cold so its ok ) any ways im thinking what would be better converting an srt8 hood or getting the ramairhood i figured that the ram airhood comes painted for 1295 and ducted already and lighter,but on the other hand the stock hood is steel and does have a more oem look so im confused the srt hood would run me about 850 not painted or modified but thats no problem i can get that done and far as painting that should run me a few hundred al totaled it should be about the same as the ram air hood painted and shipped.decisions decisions

74scamp 08-09-2006 12:45 PM

RE: hood idea

A little punctuation would help in the reading of your posts. It all runs together and is, sometimes, hard to follow.

As far as the hood, I like the SRT hood myself, but I've seen some really ausome, aftermarket ramair hoods, too.

MangoInTX 08-09-2006 12:56 PM

The RAMAirHood is more aggressive looking; the SRT8 hood is an OEM hood.

Intake - You mentioned modding the SRT8 to fit your intake needs isn't an issue... let's move along.

Paint - SRT8 unpainted and the RAMAirHood can be (optional $$). I agree w/you the paint cost is the same... let's move along.

Weight - I have the first RAMAIrHood and OEM hood upstairs at home. All I need to do is jump on the scale with each and we'll know the difference there. More importantly is that an issue for you?

Fit - it takes a little time to finagle the RAMAIrHood into a good fit, the SRT8 is a drop-in.

It seems the only real question is what external style is right for you.

baldyloxs 08-10-2006 03:45 AM

Ramair rox ! I got ideas for when we get ours .

MangoInTX 08-10-2006 11:19 PM

Just weighed the hoods and I’m amazed.

I had to weigh three times just to be sure the measurement was accurate. It was a tie; both came in at 25.5 lbs. DCX did a good job keeping the weight down on the hood.

topbanna3767 08-11-2006 05:24 AM

wow same weight as stock hood thats interesting..i just hate when choices arent easy i mean i like the hood look of the oem but it doesnt direct the air to the airbox just over the engine,that parts lame.Which leaves me to modify the underside of the oem hood whic im not feeling like doing the meaner hood i like plus the mods already done and it would come already painted big bonus.so then there is the fitting issue as long as it fits thats good enough.how about the underside cover will that be transferable ? i was looking at the duct underneath the ramairhood looks possible to cut a few holes out to vent the air over the engine not many just enough to get some air in there, but since im in the new york and our winters get cold the extra cold air going over the engine may prevent or slow down the engine from heating up to operating temp.

MangoInTX 08-11-2006 12:53 PM

Don't blame ya for not wanting to modify the OEM, it could turn into a lot of work.

The underside blanket cover doesn't transfer. RAMAirHood says you don't need it (I'm sure this is debatable to some) I haven't had any issue with the underside finish of my hood, going on seven months now. If you go w/RAMAirHood's intake that would get in the way.

I bet holes could be cut, another option is venting from around the fan shroud from the top like mnboy or underneath like myself.

The cold factor in NY, I lived there and understand... Burr. Anyhow, nothing but the standard issue drop-light in engine compartment or put an oil heater in the pan.

Don't you just love making these decisons, it seems I always over work them then go with my first gut instinct.;)

Midnight Blue 08-12-2006 04:18 AM

Insulation attached to the underside of the hood is more for noise control than heat.

You didn't say where in New York you're from but I grew up in the Northern Lake Champlain area outside of Plattsburgh. The dealer would order all the cars with the block heaters already installed and we would put cardboard over part of the radiators on the real cold days (-40 without the wind chill factor) to keep from freezing and cracking the blocks as we drove. You'd go to a friend's house and plug in your car while you were there. Kinda like tying your horse to a hitchin' post:D. I don't think a little hood insulation is really going to make a difference:) in that kind of cold.

I agree with Mango. Don't overjustify or overthink this. Go with your gut. You'll be happier in the end.

Redbeard

MangoInTX 08-12-2006 07:03 PM

I didn't notice any change in noise volume inside the cab. I guess it would catch some of the noise, but hey there a lot of other places for noise to escape from the engine compartment to the outside.

I lived upstate, Yorktown Heights Westchester County. As a kid I loved it; snow forts, skating on the ponds, toboggans and inner tubes. They held races on the lake, once it froze thick enough, my Dad would take the VW out and race... oh the fun. Now I'm climitized, weather like that would be the death of me.

kOnO 08-12-2006 08:43 PM

Hope this isn't a dumb question but does the RAMAIR hood add the same HP as CAI? Also has anyone seen a shaker hood for the Chargers? I am thinking about one of these, what do you think of these?

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...splay/682.html

Thanks
kOnO
:)